Please help: I screwed up my 355 valvetrain. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Please help: I screwed up my 355 valvetrain.

Hey guys; I had a small exhaust leak; and I misdiagnosed it as a valvetrain rocker needing to be adjusted. There was nothing wrong with the valvetrain; but I thought there was. Therefore I readjusted all the valves; and was not aware that there was a polylock (alan key lock) inside of the nut after you adjust the valve. So i fixed my exhaust leak (header gasket); and the car ran like ****. I took off my valve cover and all of the rockers had fallen out; because I was not aware that there was a poly lock on these crane roller rockers.

the motor was built by somebody else before; I just misdiagnosed the exhaust leak as a valvetrain problem. Now here is the bad part.

When I took the valve cover off; all of the rocker and nuts were spewed everywhere. As can bee seen in the picture; one of the pushrods wont go down; it is up as i circled in red; the other in the back in down in the head; it is still loose and I can remove it. What does this mean? Hopefully I didn't cause any major damage to the lifters or something else? I was going to order new pushrods?? But still am not sure what the story is with these two pushrods that I have circled in red.

and maybe I need new rocker arms too?? Here is the picture of the ones that fell off. (they were obviously too loose; as I did not tighten the polylocks). They have small indentations on either side of the roller tip on the top.; do you think I'd need new ones?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 04:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Please help: I screwed up my 355 valvetrain.

The lifter might have come out of the bore, Time to pull the intake, Have fun.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

and be sure to ckeck all rocker studs, You might have broken one lose?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Don

From the photo it also looks like the valve stem tips are hammered.

Sorry, but it looks like cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, and valves.

I am also thinking about metal debris in the engine.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

You need to pull the intake for sure to make sure the lifters are in place and not damaged, then look for metal - drain the pan and see what you find there. Are you compfortable doing this kind of mechanical work including assessing the damage? If not you should get some help with it from someone who is before going further.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 05:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

WOW !
from what I see your valve stems are trashed
pushrods are probly bent.
rockers might be ok but IMO I would replace.
I little research and some help from us could have saved you these headaches and expenses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

The valve stems may be able to be saved, they can be ground a little.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

You might be able to salvage the rocker arms depending on damage to the roller, would not worry about the body as marks can be polished down, just make sure roller is free to roll across the valve tip. Any idea what brand those rockers are?
As someone pointed out, those valve stems look boogered, to fix , they need to come out and be redressed , if they are not hit too hard. Valve man will tell you.
I see you still have those oil splash shields, not necessary if you have roller tip rockers. Might even look at valve springs and or retainers.

Need to look at those rocker arm studs for wear or damage . The top threaded end should be flat, not cupped. This is what helps lock down the allen screw in those poly locks. Need to make sure those allen set screws are not sticking out too far in nut barrel. This along with no rocker arm stud end flats, could have allowed the nuts to back off.
Yes, looks like you need to pull intake and see what else is bent or broke.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hey guys; thanks i apreciate the help.

i pulled the intake and 2 of the lifters had come out. one of the holes that the lifters in was burred slightly so I took a small piece of sand paper and the lifter will go in fine now.

i am going to order new pushrods and intake gasket; im contemplating ordering new lifters too.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech
richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bolt View Post
hey guys; thanks i apreciate the help.

i pulled the intake and 2 of the lifters had come out. one of the holes that the lifters in was burred slightly so I took a small piece of sand paper and the lifter will go in fine now.

i am going to order new pushrods and intake gasket; im contemplating ordering new lifters too.
You better start fresh or your you'll be doing this again.new lifters & cam,push rods,rocker arms,and get your heads checked out.
Rich

1969 Garnet Red Z/28-RS with Black stripes
and Black Deluxe Int. I found my build sheet

2012 Shelby SVTPP GT500 race red with dash signed by Caroll Shelby

RIP Mr Shelby
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 04:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

X2
when lifters come out oil pressure goes to 0!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I agree, you need to do a complete tear down at this point - the sand paper to remove the burr in the lifter burr plus and other damage mean there's too much work and too much risk trying to put it back together without a tear down and clean up. You can put it back together only to find out you need to do it again with mains going out.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 04:52 AM
Banned

Get some real push rods as those ones are not made for guide plates.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I hate to say it bubba but if you know that little about the valve train you should get someone who does to diagnose and repair. The valve train is not somplace to learn on except the hard way. I mean this as nicely as I can.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 10, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
I hate to say it bubba but if you know that little about the valve train you should get someone who does to diagnose and repair. The valve train is not somplace to learn on except the hard way. I mean this as nicely as I can.
Big X2. get some help.

I have a buddy with a 65 Mustang who insists that you adjust all the valves without ever having to rotate the motor. He argues with me and its obvious he has no clue. I guess I will let him find out the hard way. He just got a new 302 from ford and hes not even going to determine TDC before he starts it, even though I offered to lend him my tool.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode