350 with 305 heads----swapping to vortecs?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

350 with 305 heads----swapping to vortecs??

hey guys I have a 350 with 305 heads

the heads that are on it are 75'-79' (60cc) 305 heads which obviously bump up the compression ratio quite a bit. the problem is the small valves 1.2/1.5
it runs pretty good; but i think the vortecs will be a good upgrade.

the vortecs are 64cc's; so at least i do not know compression ratio will be a problem; as this will obviously lower the compression ratio. I was told the camshaft was around 480 lift; I've heard vortecs can only take around 475 lift. If I remove the cam; would there be a part # on it? Also the other problem is I don't know what type of pistons that I have. Would this be a big problem; If I tear the block down is there a way to find out what the specs are on the pistons without taking them out? I'm scared of touching anything on the bottom end.

Your thoughts please guys....Thanks I'm just throwing ideas around. I think it should be a good bang for the buck upgrade; heads and intake. the car already has roller rockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: 350 with 305 heads----swapping to vortecs??

It will be a huge improvement over the 305 heads.You should have flat top pistons or possibly the small dished.Either one will be fine with the vortecs.The .480 lift shouldn't be a problem but you will need to get a set of the upgraded heads aftermarket ones to use your roller rockers.Stock Vortecs have to have self guided rocker arms.The aftermarket and upgraded ones can handle more valve lift.One thing to consider is what you have now ( intake , valve covers etc).You are going to spend $1,000.00 upgrading to vortecs you can buy Dart Iron Eagle heads that use all of your current parts http://www.competitionproducts.com/D...tinfo/D1864AA/ . RHS Vortecs are a good buy http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RHS12407K1/ .

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Get a dial indicator to measure you current valve lift. You can upgrade the springs (HIGHLY recommended) and use a retainer that'll give you a good bit more clearance without having more machine work done. I've NEVER seen a Vortec head with a stud that pulled out on it's own, I think you're fine with what you have, particularly considering the price of upgraded Vortec heads. Sell the roller rockers and use that for the springs, etc. At that lift, they're not really doing you any good anyway.
If you have time, have someone massage out the ridge in the exhaust short turn. It won't take but a few minutes and will help a lot. I use a Fordham tool (a lot like a Dremel with the flex line) and blend the cutter marks out and do the short turn work on all the Vortec heads I use. It takes about an hour per head but IMHO it's worth it. You're not porting 'em, just cleaning up Chevy's machine work.
Your compression should be fine, it's low 9's with Chevy's dish piston or right at 10:1 with true flat tops. Plan fuel accordingly.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

wow those dart iron heads look like a good deal. especially since I dont need new valve covers, and intake etc...

http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RHS12407K1/

what is the chamber size in those though? 64cc? Is it worth it if I'm spending almost $900 on dart iron heads to step up to aluminum ones?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21man View Post

what is the chamber size in those though? 64cc? Is it worth it if I'm spending almost $900 on dart iron heads to step up to aluminum ones?
Yes they are 64cc heads.Aluminum heads are nice but its another $300 to $400 more just depends on how far you want to go or how much you want to spend.With a mild 350 I would go with the cast iron Darts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yea you guys are right; there is no need for aluminum heads really.

the only thing i was concerned about is that I have 1.5 scorpion roller rockers; when I swap the heads how do I know what length pushrods I would need??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

The stock ones should be fine.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 10, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

so I could basically bolt on these dart heads assembled and use all my existing pushrods and rocker arms?? anything else I should be aware of?

I'm concerned with dropping the compression ratio too low going from 60cc to 64cc chambers?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 04:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

No need to be concerned about the small drop in compression.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

Last edited by Eleanor's Nemesis; Feb 6th, 10 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

would I need the angled plugs? or straight plugs on the dart heads? I have hooker headers.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Straight.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 10, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

so guys im definetly going to go aftermarket aluminum heads. any reccommendations? I'm thinking dart; or maybe go AFR? 180-190cc??? what do you guys think?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 10, 02:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21man View Post
so guys im definetly going to go aftermarket aluminum heads. any reccommendations? I'm thinking dart; or maybe go AFR? 180-190cc??? what do you guys think?
Pull your heads off and then come back here and tell us or show us (pictures) what you have and we will be able to tell you several different opinions...err...options. That way youll know what you have when you put it back together.

I just built a 30 over 350 with afr195 heads and a 280DUR, .480 lift comp cam. I went ahead and installed 1.6 Scorpion roller rockers on the intake and 1.5 on the exhaust. 1.6 rocker increase intake lift around 30 thousands. Ive learned and been told it aids in producing torque down low. It has cheap, basic speed pro hyper pistons on 6" rods and the compression is close to 10.0:1. It has an Edelbrock EPS manifold and a 750 vac sec Holley. Its in an 84 chevy pickup with 342 rear gears and runs fantastic! Pulls hard and when the convertor locks up gets REALLY decent mileage. Points to ponder...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 10, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 350 with 305 heads----swapping to vortecs??

From vortecs to Darts and now AFR's ? Back up the money train. Here are some heads at your link that are comparable to vortecs.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 10, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes the money train is backing up lol. i have a full time job now; so i want to do this enigne right. the heads I have now are 60cc; (305's). It runs pretty damn good; but I want more power.

I was thinking to get some 64cc 190 or 195 heads. I am going to the daytona turkey run next week and I might pick up a set of heads there. The only thing I'm scared about is...what about pushrods??? How do I know if I need to change pushrod length with a new set of heads? Or can I just use the same pushrods I have. I also have 1.5 scorpion roller rockers right now.

those edelbrock E-tec's looks nice; a bit cheaper than aluminum darts and vortecs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode