350 - LT1 or L98 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
350 - LT1 or L98

Hey guys, just picked up a '67 Rally Sport with a small block 350 in it. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was an LT1 engine, but he also said it came out of an '87 Corvette (which I think came with the L98).

I'm just trying to figure out which engine it is. Are there any visual differences that would distinguish the 2 engines? I can post a pic later if it helps. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: 350 - LT1 or L98

1987 Vette had a L98 LT1 started in 92.L98 has the distributor in the rear an LT1 has it in the front.An LT1 can be changed to the rear but their are no cooling passages in the intake manifold so the top radiator hose doesn't connect to the intake.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Don't quote me but I believe and L98 has angled plugs while the LT1's were straight. The only LT1 I ever had was a transplant in a '90 K5 Blazer and I didn't keep it long enough to even get to the plugs.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Don't quote me but I believe and L98 has angled plugs while the LT1's were straight. The only LT1 I ever had was a transplant in a '90 K5 Blazer and I didn't keep it long enough to even get to the plugs.
Does that mean you're not a fan of the LT1's or was it just a bad motor?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
1987 Vette had a L98 LT1 started in 92.L98 has the distributor in the rear an LT1 has it in the front.An LT1 can be changed to the rear but their are no cooling passages in the intake manifold so the top radiator hose doesn't connect to the intake.
Thanks. Distributor is in the rear, I'll check the radiator hose location when I get home.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
joe

I had one in my 94 caprice which is now in my 68 camaro. The caprice was pretty damn quick for a 4200 lb car. Never had any problems with that engine. Camaro is not ready yet. Easy install in the camaro.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

The LT1 was a great engine,the only real downside was the trouble prone optispark ignition that there was no good fix for.The biggest power advantage for the LT1 was that it had heads that were similar to the Vortec truck heads,and the intake design was better.You can make plenty of power with your L98.You can switch to a set of Vortec heads and have them prepped for a large cam,and run the Vortec TPI intake with some larger injectors.Swap in a mild computer compatable cam{if you still have the injection} and adjustable fuel pressure regulator,headers and a good exhaust system,a chip and a cold air induction system and you will have an engine that runs better then any stock LT1.

400 HP and super good daily driveablity should be doable with this setup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Does that mean you're not a fan of the LT1's or was it just a bad motor?
It was a total sh!tbox all the way around, not the motor's fault. Transmission went out as soon as I got it. Motor blew a week after I sold it. The seller disclosed some "wrist pin noise" after I bought it. Nice suspension, bad powertrain. The only time I've been burned by a vehicle purchase on eBay.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Don't quote me but I believe and L98 has angled plugs while the LT1's were straight.
L98s with cast iron heads have straight plugs the aluminum headed ones have angle plugs.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
The LT1 was a great engine,the only real downside was the trouble prone optispark ignition that there was no good fix for.The biggest power advantage for the LT1 was that it had heads that were similar to the Vortec truck heads,and the intake design was better.You can make plenty of power with your L98.You can switch to a set of Vortec heads and have them prepped for a large cam,and run the Vortec TPI intake with some larger injectors.Swap in a mild computer compatable cam{if you still have the injection} and adjustable fuel pressure regulator,headers and a good exhaust system,a chip and a cold air induction system and you will have an engine that runs better then any stock LT1.

400 HP and super good daily driveablity should be doable with this setup.
No TPI any longer, it has a Holley Street Avenger Carb on it with an Edelbrock RPM Intake.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
The radiator hose connects to the intake, so it looks like it's an L98.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode