Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake

Hoping you guys can answer a few questions for me about the Performer RPM manifold.

1- Will it work with my factory cowl induction air cleaner?

2- Can I use it with my divorced choke set up? I want to keep my original q-jet set up.

3- Will I see any improvements over the stock cast 4 barrel intake? I iwll be leaving factory exhaust manifolds on, and have 2.02/1.60 angle plug heads.

Thanks

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20
12 Bolt 3:73 Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 12:49 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake

#1 YES, #2 NO, #3 No comparison w stock manifold. This manifold is a high rise dual plane design. Good from 1500 to 6500 RPM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 01:58 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

I love my rpm perfomer, fantastic intake...but like dt says...ya gotta use a holley...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I agree with the above answer and JMO but with stock manifolds it would be a waste of money.You have to get out what you put in.The restriction is the exhaust manifolds not the intake.I run exhaust manifolds with a castiron Qjet intake and a 6210 spreadbore double pumper on my 400.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt View Post
I love my rpm perfomer, fantastic intake...but like dt says...ya gotta use a holley...
You can use a Qjet http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...oductId=745137

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 02:49 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

thank you for the correction!!....i swore it was holley only...thank you.

Kelly
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I do think I would be better off changing to headers but I am really trying to avoid that. They do make it for q-jet and I noticed the divorced choke isn't a problem, it will work with that. Even if I gain just a little there is a weight savings there.
Will it fit without a doubt under my cowl hood with the original induction air cleaner?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I know they fit under stock flat hoods with a drop base air cleaner, If the original is an open element of regular size which i think is like 14X3 I don't see it being a problem.

As for the exhaust and originality, A few people I know run stock exhaust manifolds called "rams horns" I think they came off of early vettes, they will probably fit the camaro, I can't remember if someone said they won't because of where the collector dumps, it may hit the steering box, can someone clarify this?
Anyways, if you don't want to run headers, these would be an improvement that basically look stock.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

1. If your original manifold is a stock dual plane aluminum it will work fine with the cowl hood - if you have a stock low profile manifold you will need to lose the spacer that goes between the air cleaner base and the seal for it to fit under a cowl hood.

2. No

3. yes, but you should run headers if you want to see the real benfits.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

Last edited by srode; Feb 10th, 10 at 06:58 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
A few people I know run stock exhaust manifolds called "rams horns" I think they came off of early vettes, they will probably fit the camaro, I can't remember if someone said they won't because of where the collector dumps, it may hit the steering box, can someone clarify this?
The good center dump Vette ramshorn manifolds wont work.They dump right over the crossmember.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
1. If your original manifold is a stock dual plane aluminum it will work fine with the cowl hood - if you have a stock low profile manifold you will need to lose the spacer that goes between the air cleaner base and the seal for it to fit under a cowl hood.

2. No

3. yes, but you should run headers if you want to see the real benfits.
Why do you say the divorced choke won't work. They sell the correct rod for it and it has a mounting area for it?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

I had ramhorns on my 68, not sure if they were vette ramhorns or not but they were cast iron ramhorns. The flange was very close to the power steering box but did clear it. No problem at all with the crossmember since the exhaust flange for the manifolds was right next to the power steering box which is behind the crossmember. I have seen headers with worse clearance. Motor mounts may make a difference though as the HEI hit the firewall.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 03:41 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirst 69SS View Post
Why do you say the divorced choke won't work. They sell the correct rod for it and it has a mounting area for it?
Are you talking about the Performer or Performer RPM??
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Performer RPM, part number EDL-7104

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 06:27 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

The performer manifold has the mounting provision for the choke. I have not seen any provisions for the choke on the RPM manifold. Also the RPM manifolds are Non emission unlike the performer. I have the Performer RPM on my BBC, there is no choke provision? To be 100% sure you may have to call Edelbrock tech department direct. My friend has the Performer and there is a provision for the stock choke.

7101, 7104 A, C, D Performer RPM: Designed for 1955-86 262-400 c.i.d. small-block Chevy for high-performance
street use. Will fit cast iron Chevy Bowtie heads. Includes provision to add oil fill tube. No
provision for exhaust heated choke. Accepts square-bore style carburetors only. 7104 is the
Performer RPM Q-Jet, which accepts Q-Jet or spread-bore style carburetors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode