Flat cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Kelly

Flat cam

I have a 454, near as i can tell it is a 71-79 truck block. It has valve train noise on passenger side. I asked a friend of mine about this and say's they are notorious for the cam lobes going flat. ecspecially in #6 & #8 cylinders. Has anyone else ever experianced this? what did you do correct the problem beside replacing the cam and lifters? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 10, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: flat cam

1st of all it's common sense to inspect the area from where the noise originates.

Take the valve covers off, start the engine and observe the Valve train. Use hands with a hardwood stick to feel for slack. You are looking for broken rockers, springs, bent push rod, failed lifters or lobe (Push rod not spinning) ... etc.

Replacing broken valve train parts should not take an experienced person more then 20 minutes per cylinder to replace the damaged parts such as worn Rocker Nuts, Studs, Rockers and adjust accordingly. If this fails you may have a Lobe issue.

If the engine is Hi-Mileage and compression is good, you are probably due for Timing Gear and Cam replacement, water pump, fuel pump, rad ... etc.

If the engine has made it this far without issues you better off diagnosing problems then with a fresh rebuild.

I have no clue what you know about engines but I've provided you with the first step. The average motorists has no idea that their engine has a wiped lobe other then; if it runs, it's just fine - That is, until it STOPS and then it's too late for conventional maintenance; other words, you're one step ahead just by being here.

PS: Your friend has a misconception and GOOD LUCK ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Feb 10th, 10 at 11:48 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: Flat cam

Just as a side note,if it is more of a clucking sound at idle,the late 70's 454'swere notorious for piston noise.I ran 2 different tow vehicles with this noise and never corrected it.One had over 200K and the other well over 300K and that one broke a timing chain and was never right after that.The cluck was never an issue for them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Rich: Yes I've come across "Piston Slap" in Hi-Mileage 454's as well. It's unbelievable how slippery (loose) the Piston to Cylinder bores can get and the cylinder bores can look like this " ) ( " - LOL

For this reason when I rebuild, I place the Oil Ring Gaps to the Thrust Side hoping the Oil Trace will help eliminate this wear. I believe GM off sets the Wrist Pin .020" for this very reason.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 07:59 PM
Tech Team
jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut1972 View Post
I have a 454, near as i can tell it is a 71-79 truck block. It has valve train noise on passenger side. I asked a friend of mine about this and say's they are notorious for the cam lobes going flat. ecspecially in #6 & #8 cylinders. Has anyone else ever experianced this? what did you do correct the problem beside replacing the cam and lifters? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
GM cams of that era (mid-late 70's) were the weak link. What is now considered 1/2 life of an engine (125,000 miles) the cam and lifters were usually junk. The lifter faces would wear through and the lobes would be near flat so (just my opinion here) yes I believe your friend. I had 2 vehicles that happened to during that time period. I have a 3rd sitting in my shop right now (my 1-owner 75 Camaro). It has 157,000 documented miles with all receipts. Good compression and no knocking or ticking but the cam is almost flat on multiple lobes.
Replace the cam and lifters (timing set also) and keep your eyes closed when it comes to the rest unless you intend to run it hard It's not a problem inherent with the 454, it was a byproduct of the 70's.

Jeff.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 10, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Flat cam

Make sure the noise is not just a loose rocker. Unless it starts backfiring, or low on power, I wouldn't worry about it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 10, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Kelly

Thanks Guys. I have not done a compression test yet but i will this week. The car has very ltittle power. With a big block/4 spd it should run pretty good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 10, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I've had 2 higher mileage big blocks and both developed piston slap. I would only notice the piston slap when the engine was "under load". If you're engine is doing it at idle, I'd guess that it's just valve train issues. You've recieved good diagonistic tools from X51cam and others. I believe the other suggestions have covered all the bases.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 10, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

When is the last time you replaced the exhaust gaskets, checked lash, and re-torqued the exhaust manifolds/headers?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode