single valve springs or double - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

single valve springs or double

Hey guys, I purchased a set of heads from a company in aus that were from the us, i think they are alabama cylinder heads and if you go to their web site it takes you to patriot, I purchased them in jan 2008 now the motor is rebuilt and ive noticed that the valve spring is only a single and it didnt have pushrod guides. Question is do I use flat guides? and should I put double spring in. any comment much appreciated. dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 05:10 AM
Bill

Re: single valve springs or double

Dave,

Need more information to answer the questions.

Most Chevy heads are set up frpm the factory not to use guide plates. If that is the case with your heads, you cannot put guide plates on them without machining out the hoe that the pushrods presently go through and also probably milling down the stud bosses. Close up pictures of these areas on the head would help.

As far as the springs go, that depends on your camshaft. Depending on what spring pressure your cam calls for, you may or may not be able to use the springs that are on the heads now. The ONLY way to know for certain is to remove a spring, check the installed height and then put the spring on a spring tester to see what pressures it has at that installed hgt. You also need to know if the spring will accomodate the lift of your camshaft without coil binding. You may also have problems with the spring retainer traveling too far and hitting the valve seal or the top of the guide at full lift.

These are all items that really should have been checked before the engine was assembled

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Bill, Thanks fir the answers, what photos wll you need to look at. my cam is a comp 12-211-2. These are aftermarket heads and ive been told that i will need these plates, if i push the pushrod lets say to the left the rocker is centralised over the valve stem and if i push it the other way its nearly off the valve. I cant find the paper work on the heads and there are no cast numbers. let me know what photos to take and how will i upload them. thanks dave

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

The problem with the rockers is because of the larger runners, you need offset rockers regardless of what the company says, or you should call them, explain the problem, and then get them to send you adjustable 2 piece guide plates, I had the same problem with those heads. The rockers still will not be parallel but they will be square on the valve.
Notice in this pic how the rockers are not straight yet the roller is where it needs to be? Without the adjustable guide plates the roller would not be contacting the valve correctly and the rockers would be straight, this is why you need offset rockers, or guide plates if you dont have the time or money if you have already bought rockers.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Ace, How do i upload pics so i can show you, dave
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie68cam View Post
Ace, How do i upload pics so i can show you, dave
I do mine through a photobucket account, it's free, all you need is an e-mail, then you upload pics from your computer to photobucket which will give you links to the photo on their website, copy and past it into the "insert image" icon in the box on team camaro you post with.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 05:38 PM
Bill

Dave,

Look at the hole in the head that the pushrod passes through. If it is a round hole that is considerably larger than the pushrod, then you will need guideplates. If the hole is oblong shaped and fits the pushrod pretty snug, then it is the factory type setup and will not need a guideplate. If it is the second, factory type deal and you try to use a guide plate without opening the hole up, it will put the pushrod in a bind and wear through it.

As far as the pictures go, when you make a response to the thread, use the "post reply" button at the top instead of the "quick reply" button. Then below the box that you type your resonse in, you will see a section that says "manage attachments" ... that is where you can post your pictures. A picture straight down like the one John posted but WITHOUT the rocker arms, would tell the story.

As far as the springs go, the Comp catalog shows one of the acceptable springs being the 981 which is a small single spring similar to the factory Z-28 spring so you should be ok with your single springs.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

John try this dave

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_3787.jpg
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

It looks like those heads may work with guide plates?
I cant remember how big the holes were in my stock heads vs. the new aluminum ones that need guide plates also. I want to say they both didn't have small holes like the ones you have but the entire area was open, I could be wrong, last head I saw without rockers was a bbc that was completely open up top (no small holes)
The holes in your head look big and opened up enough to run guide plates, if others chime in and agree, you need a set of these:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFR-6104/?rtype=10
It's not good having that kind of rocker to valve contact.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for the info i will try and get the photos right dave
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

BillK, I never knew you could do that, uploading pics directly from your computer, that is much easier than logging into photobucket, thanks for the tip.
Dave, what is the runner size on those heads?
Are they iron? They do look iron, didn't know patriot made iron heads.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

John what do you mean runner size, also what time is it over there, dave
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:45 PM
Bill

Dave,
Those look like vortec heads ? If so they are probably meant to be used with self aligning rockers which have a "groove" in the tip to keep the rocker aligned with the valve. Cant tell from the pictures, are the studs screwd in or pressed in ? If the stud bosses have not been machined down far enough, you might not be able to use guide plates because the bottom of the rocker arm might hit the "hex" portion of the screw in stud.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:47 PM
Bill

Dave,
It is 8:47 PM right now on the East Coast USA

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Billk, 7/16 screw in. Im working at the moment when i get home in about an hour i will remove some rockers and take some photos. thanks dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode