blower cam good size? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

blower cam good size?

ok guys putting together 496 with 8-71 blower with dual 750's and converted propane oval port heads machined and ported with the biggest vavles they could take. i believe they are 116 cc chambers. My machinist suggest an forged eagle rotating assembly which im fine with. on the cam he suggested a flat tappet cam with 547 lift and 280-288 duration. he was more than happy when i mentioned i wanted a hydrollic roller which he said roller is always better than flat tappet so he is checking on roller for blower set up. just wanted to know what you guys thought of the lift and duration. as always any suggestions im all ears guys. not going to lie i have considered some aft 315-325 heads and bigger cam to go with this blower and still kinda on the fence just not sure if it is worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: blower cam good size?

Whats the LSA and duration at .050?

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

547 lift seems kinda small for a BBC blower motor.

I have a 502 , dart pro 1 325 heads, 8-71 blower and 2- 750 carbs. I have a hydralic roller in my motor.

Its a crane cam and they are outta business.
621 in/ 632 ex
302/310 duration advertised
240/248 @050 duration

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Lift is tiny.
You need a solid roller for sure.
Off topic, but also check out scat for the rotating assembly.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: blower cam good size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post

Its a crane cam and they are outta business.
621 in/ 632 ex
302/310 duration advertised
240/248 @050 duration
they are actually producting parts again - cams are still available on a limited basis depending on grinds and popularity.
I just bought a BB roller (hyd) for a marine application the end of last year
This one - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-139011/

Check with Summit if you have a grind your looking for.
Or, call Crane/SS direct at 866 388 5120 to get a recommendation and see if they have or can do that grind for you.

Watch your cam selection, to keep low speed drivablity in check with a blower motor you don't want some of the grinds that give wild idle characteristics and need real high stalls - you'll not be able to cruise
Keep your Durations and Overlaps in the mild/medium ranges to retain streetablity.
Keep your durations under the mid .200deg. range (@ 0.050").
I seldom select cams above the upper .500" lift range for street blown engines.
Overlaps should be kept in the 110~114deg range.

These are just my general guidelines for streetable engines, if your going for more 'show' or gonna race it - you can go 'bigger' ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Check out Scat for rotating assembly. Scat/Eagle, both made in China. I've heard (true or false...)Scat tends to quality control what get's shipped from China to them while Eagle ships the China box to you without looking what's in it. Supposedly, Scat has 40% vested interest in the factory while Eagle does not...

Matt

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

yea i guess i forgot to mention this is a street driven engine on 91 octane fuel. might take it to the track once or twice but doubt it. anything under a 11.49 requires a roll cage which i will not be installing and i definately plan on being way under 11.49 lol. 10s but hoping for 9s power out of engine with slicks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
george

Paul...my blown 461 bbc is pure street only.I selected a cam that is real valve spring friendly for that reason.
461 bbc..8-71 11% under..325 cc cyl heads(375/280 cfm)@ ,700"..dual 850 dp,s...7.5/1 static cr.
I am more than happy with the power..more than I can harness in a street deal.
Crower 01322 solid flat tappet
.529/.544 lift
300/310 advertised
246/254 @ .050.
114 lsa.
A hyd roller 600 lift and 250ish at @.050 on a 114 lsa would make great power in a blown 496.
Not sure if anyone makes a blower manifold for the oval ports..not to worry though,a rectangular with matching gskts will work.
I would cam it as mentioned and then pulley up and down on the blower as reqd.Keep your static around 8/1 and let the blower do the work.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

right on fatblock thank for the input. this guy is supposedly a great engine builder and is quite busy with the race truck series right now and also does dragsters. unfortunately they do not make an oval port manifold for blowers so yes i just have to get rectangular port gasket that fits best with my oval port. thanks for the input guys its nice to get all these different opinions and different combos people try.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
george

Paul..what i like about my aft cyl heads is not so much the large x huge 325 intake port but the great flow on the exhaust side vs oem.The lung does a good a job of cyl fill on the intake side..but you do need a good exhaust exit with forced induction.
I love ovals n/a because of the high port velocity for cyl filling..but the exhaust flow is limited with the oem head comparitively speaking.
I would e-bay the ovals and use the coin to purchase a modern aluminum head.
I,ve yet to hear from a roots blown big block user that has a soggy bottom end with rectangulars.The tin heads vs iron will also be less detonation prone and carve about 75lbs off the nose.You will need this when you add 125 lbs with the blower and dual carbs.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 08:42 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Thats a litte bit of myth aobut Eagle.I use their crank kits.I have them put custom package together for me and balance them.I am very paticular about what I use in my engines and they work with me.They use Clevite bearings{very good}I use Speed Pro 3/4 grove on the mains{better). The use rings from their piston supplier SRP or Mahle{good}.I only use total seal gapless{better}.I have called them to put together a crank and piston kit balanced to the rods I already had by giving them the weights.I know they dont drop ship from China.Maybe they do that wih $199 cast cranks or $199 I beam rods when being sold alone,but their kts are all hand picked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode