Oil leak from Head Gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oil leak from Head Gasket?

This is on my new 383 stroker. Is it possible for oil to leak from the head gasket? I did not think so but I have a leak and it looks like it is seeping from the passenger side head gasket towards the front of the engine. I have had a small leak for a awhile and have not been able to find where it is coming from. I was thinking it is the pan gasket but after using a leak test kit with UV dye I find that it is not. After cleaning all of the oil off of the engine and using the dye I can see that it starts to seep a small amount out of the passenger side head gasket area towards the front of the engine when the engine is running . Then it eventually proceeds all the way down the head gasket area to the rear of the head. Then runs down the block between the starter and block area and eventually ends up at the rear passenger side oil pan gasket area. I have checked everywhere to see if it is coming from somewhere else first, like the valve cover, but I can only see it starting right at the head gasket? Any ideas where it could be coming from? If it is from the head gasket what can I do to fix it, should I just retorque the head bolts? Thanks

1969 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 10, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Oil leak from Head Gasket?

Yea, it can leak oil from the head gasket. I'd try re-torquing the head bolts, but sounds like it's time for a new set of gaskets.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Its a brand new felpro head gasket, should not be bad on a new engine. How should I go about retorquing the head? Should I loosen them all and then go through the torque sequence? Or just retorque each bolt without loosening them again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
Yea, it can leak oil from the head gasket. I'd try re-torquing the head bolts, but sounds like it's time for a new set of gaskets.

1969 Camaro SS

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Are you totally sure is's not from the corner of the intake??
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech

There are no oil passages through the head gasket, so if you have oil leaking out the head gasket you have more problems than just the gasket.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 09:03 AM
Tech Team
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Z View Post
This is on my new 383 stroker. Is it possible for oil to leak from the head gasket? I did not think so but I have a leak and it looks like it is seeping from the passenger side head gasket towards the front of the engine. I have had a small leak for a awhile and have not been able to find where it is coming from. I was thinking it is the pan gasket but after using a leak test kit with UV dye I find that it is not. After cleaning all of the oil off of the engine and using the dye I can see that it starts to seep a small amount out of the passenger side head gasket area towards the front of the engine when the engine is running . Then it eventually proceeds all the way down the head gasket area to the rear of the head. Then runs down the block between the starter and block area and eventually ends up at the rear passenger side oil pan gasket area. I have checked everywhere to see if it is coming from somewhere else first, like the valve cover, but I can only see it starting right at the head gasket? Any ideas where it could be coming from? If it is from the head gasket what can I do to fix it, should I just retorque the head bolts? Thanks
make sure there is thread sealant on head bolts....ran across that problem a few times

80 z-28 with a big block....someday i will finish.[sigh] someday
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So do I just start pulling one bolt at a time to verify there is sealant on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves80z28 View Post
make sure there is thread sealant on head bolts....ran across that problem a few times

1969 Camaro SS
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

No, don't do that. Recheck the intake gaskets, particularly the seal at the front of the block.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is not from the intake, there is no UV dye in any area of the intake. It only starts at the headgasket at the passenger side right corner closest to the header flange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor's Nemesis View Post
No, don't do that. Recheck the intake gaskets, particularly the seal at the front of the block.

1969 Camaro SS
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 01:04 PM
Tech Team
dave

Quote:
It is not from the intake, there is no UV dye in any area of the intake. It only starts at the headgasket at the passenger side right corner closest to the header flange.
you need to pull the top half of engine apart anyway, thread sealant on head bolts is where id pay my attention to,but without seeing its really hard to tell

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 01:07 PM
Tech Team
dave

Quote:
Its a brand new felpro head gasket, should not be bad on a new engine. How should I go about retorquing the head? Should I loosen them all and then go through the torque sequence? Or just retorque each bolt without loosening them again?
just because its new, doesnt mean its perfect. it is a mass produced part

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 05:36 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
There are no oil passages through the head gasket.
Yes, there are - the oil drainback passages go through both ends of the head gasket (but that oil isn't under pressure). Can't imagine drainback oil leaking through a head gasket unless the gasket or deck surface is damaged.

JohnZ
CRG
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
Are you totally sure is's not from the corner of the intake??
Or from a valve cover?

Clean oil can travel downward without detection.then it is noticable once it picks up a little more color from contaminants.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I removed the alternator to get a better look. Here are pictures so you can see exactly where it is coming from. You can see where the oil with UV dye(green color) is seeping out from the head gasket. Before anyone one says that is looks more like antifreeze because it is green, it not. That is the UV dye. It is not coming from any area of the intake or valve cover, there is only oil coming from this spot.

1969 Camaro SS
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 10, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Was the block decked?
Were the heads checked for straightness/milled?
Is that a shim steel head gasket?
You are supposed to re torque the head bolts after the first few initial heat cycles.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode