Stock Chevy rod question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Stock Chevy rod question

Are these rods ok to use in a stock DZ rebuild? I recently installed a set in my engine that were re-conditioned. They measured around 9/16 across the beam. Speed shop I bought them from said they were comparable to the O rods, but haven't seen much info on them and no one seems to know much when asked about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-5.7--CHEVY--X-RODS-(set-of-8)-SHOT-PEENED_W0QQitemZ250578334850QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0100212?IMSfp=TL100212123016r13734

Thanks

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Re: Stock Chevy rod question

Well, I would be hesitant to buy ANY lower end parts used. The description says they have not been resized. I take this to mean they need resizing. If no one knows much about them there is a good reason.They are unknown. I would not buy them even at that cheap a price. They could be bent. How about the bolts? What condition are they in? Floating or pressed? "Appear to be in good condition" covers a lot of territory.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

When I think of DZ rebuilds I always get the feeling the owner is going to buzz the thing at least once in a while.

You can get some better rods for your application that don't cost a lot of money.

With used rods you have no idea how much they have been used and in what application. Might have been in granny's grocery getter or might have taken some nitrous hits.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Not planning on buying those rods, already have a set of X's that have been gone over and reconditioned, etc. with ARP bolts. Someone told me years ago to make sure the beam measurement was no less then 9/16" which they are. I don't believe the ones I have are the newer Chevy PM rods. It does seem there isn't much info on the X rods though, mostly that they were installed in heavy truck engines and were used in some form of racing in the 70's and 80's. I googled and found SOME info but not enough to convince me to use or not use. I don't plan on installing engine anytime soon and won't until I hear more opinions.

Thanks

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
richard

If this for a real DZ motor and a real Z28.save your money and buy some good rods.I was going to buy a set of Scat pro comp rods,CNC motor sports has them for about $250.but I snaged a set of Manley H-beam rods cheap from CNC.you dont want cheap rods or pistons in motor like that.what are going to do for pistons?
Richard

1969 Garnet Red Z/28-RS with Black stripes
and Black Deluxe Int. I found my build sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Shelby SVTPP GT500 race red with dash signed by Caroll Shelby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Mr Shelby
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

After thinking about it for a while in 1975 I had my first Camaro, a 69 SS 350/300 3 speed early car, I remember it had the narrow rear spoiler on it. I pulled the engine apart and if I'm not mistaken it had X rods in it. I believe it was the first time I saw the inside of a chevy engine and the crank was forged and the block had 4 bolt mains if my memory serves me right.

I had a set of these rods reconditioned, ARP bolts, all weighing the same, using pressed in pins instead of floating, new .030 12.5's cut down to 11's all weighing the same, crank is standard and everything was balanced together. Short block is already together.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 01:57 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Those are not the rods he is going to buy, he's said that he bought a similar set and has since had them resized and switched to ARP bolts.

Honestly, for a stock 302 build, I'd say they are fine. Make sure the engine gets balanced and go have fun. If you were going to buy rods, I'd recommend the powder metal ones for a limited budget or a set of scat/eagle aftermarket ones if you don't mind paying for extra security.

The main issue with used rods is that the "clock" on them doesn't get reset when they get reconditioned like it does with most other engine parts. But generally, you'd be fine unless these particular rods have swung in two or three builds and are at the end of their road.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69duskblueX33 View Post
Those are not the rods he is going to buy, he's said that he bought a similar set and has since had them resized and switched to ARP bolts.

Honestly, for a stock 302 build, I'd say they are fine. Make sure the engine gets balanced and go have fun. If you were going to buy rods, I'd recommend the powder metal ones for a limited budget or a set of scat/eagle aftermarket ones if you don't mind paying for extra security.

The main issue with used rods is that the "clock" on them doesn't get reset when they get reconditioned like it does with most other engine parts. But generally, you'd be fine unless these particular rods have swung in two or three builds and are at the end of their road.

Yes..I had everything balanced, crank, rods and pistons when the block was machined years ago. The short block is loaded on my engine stand just waiting for me to do something with it. I'm not in a hurry. I need to pick up some good head gaskets now. Any suggestions? Block has not been decked and is at .030 overbore.

I'm currently running a 1974 2 bolt 355 with 11's all balanced as well with the 30-30 cam, my 186 heads, Z intake, and S/R 4053. Runs well on pump gas with 4:10's and M20

On the X rods...don't get me wrong , I personally think they should be fine as well. I just haven't heard very much about them. I have heard them used in the same sentence as being comparable to the O rods. Also the gentleman I bought them from runs a small million dollar a year or so engine building service in Dover Delaware, Rose Engines, Paul Rose is his name. Probably the best chevy engine man in my area. We have been long time friends since we were stationed at Dover AFB working on C5-A's in the 70's. He wouldn't steer me wrong. I did call him today to be sure and he says they will be fine and not to worry. He also said he starts with virgin rods.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Check out this auction. and look at the pics, especially the rod caps. There are the X rods I have been talking about. This would be a period correct CE right? or too late?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-70...Q5fAccessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode