Trouble installing ZZ502 - help! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Trouble installing ZZ502 - help!

I am installing a ZZ502 4-speed in my 67 Camaro. I am having trouble getting the engine to line up. The engine sets about .75" too far forward resulting in the z bar and cross member not lining up. Also, the pan rubs on the center drag link.

Is there anyone who has done this installation?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Phil D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Re: Trouble installing ZZ502 - help!

What engine mount and frame stand set up are you using? Is this a new engine or an older model? The older needed a different pan for a camaro.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 10, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Almost bought one (zz502) just the other day from a guy in Loveland, CO. You'll need a aftermarket pan as the stock won't fit. Make sure you have the right big block engine/frame brackets as well as the correct engine mounts. What engine did your 67 have before? Plenty of guys run these motors on here.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

As mentioned make sure you have the BB frame stands.
The stock zz502 pan won't fit - if you want to stick with a 4 qt GM pan
try PN 12495360

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=22752

or Moroso and Miloden make 6 quart pans that will clear.

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Trouble installing ZZ502 - help!

You will need a big block transmission cross member. It will allow your transmission to be .750" forward and .500" to the passenger side, to match the Big Block frame mount offset. You must also use a big block Z-bar. (bell crank)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Maybe you can swap the engine stands onthe frame from left to right,that should ove theengine back about 1".Depending on how big your distributor is and how much room you have between it and the firewall will be a deciding factor in how well this works.Your trans crssmember should have enough movemnet to fitand if you dont by use the bigblock motor mounts you wont need the bogbock crossmember or clutch linkage.

It might be worth a try if the distributor looks like it will clear
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

I think it will be to tight rich. I run small block 302/350 mounts on my 69 with a big block and it's tight with a MSD pro billet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I guess we are assuming Phil that you had a small block before and now have a big block. If that is the case then yes the frame mounts, motor mounts and transmission x-member all have to be for a big block.

Classic Industries has a good article detailing what you need to change:
http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rationTip&pt=1

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Trouble installing ZZ502 - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
Maybe you can swap the engine stands onthe frame from left to right,that should ove theengine back about 1".Depending on how big your distributor is and how much room you have between it and the firewall will be a deciding factor in how well this works.Your trans crssmember should have enough movemnet to fitand if you dont by use the bigblock motor mounts you wont need the bogbock crossmember or clutch linkage.
No offense meant here, but everything said here is wrong !

The big block mounts move the engine towards the passenger side, to allow more room for the exhaust manifold or headers at the steering box. It also moves the engine forward that 3/4 of an inch. If you swapped the mounts, the engine would be offset to the driver's side, making it impossible to fit an exhaust manifold or header on that side ! It also would move the engine farther towards the front of the car ! The big bock crossmember IS required to match the offset of the big block frame mounts. A big block z-bar (bell crank) is necessary to line up the ball stud with your clutch linkage and to extend a 1/2" farther to the engine and transmission assembly. This probably is why they moved the engine forward. If you do attempt to install a big block engine on small frame stands, your z-bar will not line up and you will have little to no room at the firewall. You also will not have room for a drivers side exhaust manifold. Header's would have to be specially made by a company like Lemon's headers.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Feb 16th, 10 at 09:09 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 10, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

I was talking about using the smallblock mounts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 09:03 PM
Tech Team
Phil

I installed a 454 in my 67. The oil pan did rub the drag link and also was lower than the cross member. It was a pan off a 75 pickup. I ordered a big block pan from Summit part # (sum-g3510x) and it worked great. I am using the correct big block frame stands for the 67.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
67 camero, zz502

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode