Big block lifter valley tray 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Question Big block lifter valley tray 67

i have to change the intake because of air cleaner clearence problems(air gap rpm) is there a need to install a lifter valley tray to keep oil off the bottom of the intake?
im going to use ether a torker II or a performer intake.
thx scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Re: Big block lifter valley tray 67

What engine, hood, carb and air cleaner combination are you running?

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

No - the pan helped keep hot oil off the bottom of the iron intake.
Aluminum intakes conduct the heat away quickly and don't tend ot heat in that one area like iron does.
Most GM performance aluminum intakes didn't have one from the factory.

Also, plug the heat crossover (use planking gaskets) on the Performer to keep exhaust gasses out if your heads have a passage for this.
Helps keep heat out of base of the intake

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWSAM62 View Post
i have to change the intake because of air cleaner clearence problems(air gap rpm) is there a need to install a lifter valley tray to keep oil off the bottom of the intake?
im going to use ether a torker II or a performer intake.
thx scott
Imo..the valley tray is a wise choice for $20 from GM.
If your head/intake manifold uses an exhaust crossover to heat the plenum floor..you do not want this high heat in contact with your 200*f oil.This can cause the oil to coke on contact and then seperate and find its way into the oiling system.
If your heads are blocked off and you are doing everything to keep intake charge temp to a minimum..then the tray keeps 200*f oil away also.
Either way..the valley tray is a win win.
Suprised the air gap will not fit with a drop base filter.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
george

[QUOTE=Vintage 68;1381174
Most GM performance aluminum intakes didn't have one from the factory.

Vintage..are we on the same page?
I thought the op was talking about the snap in valley tray available today vs the(catch all crud) riveted to the intake manifold shield used in the past.
The tray I am referring to has 6 tangs and supported by the cyl heads and is not intake manifold specific.Universal application with any big block chev..regardless of manifold choice.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: Big block lifter valley tray 67

You're probably right (that's two today) I was on the manifold pan page vs. the valley tray page for some reason.

This is in "Engine" vs. "Performance" forum (which I tend to avoid posting in) so I tend to think 'stock'ish applications ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Airgap should fit under the hood, the SS hoods aren't cowl and are the same as a flat hood.
Check this new thread for info:https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172973

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
What engine, hood, carb and air cleaner combination are you running?
oh sorry left out some info
67 full restoration,402 big block,big block frame mounts, new body bushings,elderbrock air gap rpm intake ,750 holley double pumper, stock ss hood with full insulation pad on the bottom of the hood,original drop base air cleaner for a 67 big block with a chrome lid.2" filter

here's the problem, the lid is touching the top of the carb on the inside when tightend down, but it is also not touching the filter element so there is a gap between the lid and the filter(2"),the edge on the top of the lid is also rubing off the stickers againsts the insulation hood pad, so I have zero clearence. if the pad was gone maybe there would be enough clearence to leave the intake on but i would like to keep the pad, this is a cruisin show car, changing the base or the filter element won't help me since the lid is allready to high and at the same time to low since its setting on the air horn choke assy. so a lower profile intake was were i was going, a performer is only 5/8 shorter than the air gap while the torkerII is a 1.50 shorter so i could add a 3" filter and get the clearence below the lid and still not be into the under hood pad, since the air gaps claim to fame is the oil seperated from the runners i was asking with the other two choices for intakes if a oil lifter valley tray to keep oil of the intake runners was needed or just spending money for no real reason?
appreciate any help
scott OH ALSO ELDERBROCKS CATALOG STATES A RPM AIR GAP WILL NOT FIT UNDER A 67-69 CAMARO'S FLAT STYLE HOOD

Last edited by KAWSAM62; Feb 18th, 10 at 09:32 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode