Oil pan gasket - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Oil pan gasket

Tomorrow i am planning on changing a bad oil pan gasket on my 69 L-78. I have access to a lift but was wondering if the motor needs to be raised to clear the pan. with the front cross member in the way of any kinda jack i would use to lift the motor, i am thinking this may be a challenge. Do you have to leave the car on the ground and cherry pick the motor? Any advise from experience is appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: oil pan gasket

I removed the motor mount bolts, removed the transmission mount bolts, removed the distributor cap, removed the fan shroud, knocked the drag link loose from the idler arm and pitman arm, and rotated the engine so the timing mark was at five o'clock.
Put a board under the oil pan and jacked the motor up as far as it would go.
Cut pieces of 2x4 to slip in between the motor mounts and frame mounts and released the jack.

If you have access to a cherry picker and intake plate all would be the same except jacking up from under the oil pan. You still need to get the car off the ground some, and the engine needs to come up at an angle not straight up but more front biased. I put a one piece seal in and actually had to use the jack to push the pan up....the rear hoop was a mother and needed to stretch a little and dang those bolts are short.

You could always get the motor set up like you need it, then lift the car, swap the pan, lower the car, and button it back up.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 10:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I hope Steiner was refering to a big block and good luck if he was.
I have a 68 with an L-78 and could not remove the pan without removig the engine. I disconected everything and lifted the engine with a cherry picker and the pan still would not clear the crossmember.
An L-78 is a big block 396.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962vette View Post
I hope Steiner was refering to a big block and good luck if he was.
I have a 68 with an L-78 and could not remove the pan without removig the engine. I disconected everything and lifted the engine with a cherry picker and the pan still would not clear the crossmember.

Nope, small block. Had to "alter" the new baffled pan to get it in without pulling the engine though. If you don't push the engine up at the right angle it sometimes will not clear. I had that problem. Also if you have long tubes some have to be disconnected or they hit the firewall before the engine is up as high as it will go otherwise.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I did this recently to a big block 454 in a 69, but it is not easy. If you're worried at all about scratching anything I would pull the motor. If not, a little patience and persistence will win the day, as it is with just about everything we do in the shop, eh?

And yes, you definitely do need to raise the engine as far as you possibly can to make this even remotely doable.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Re: Oil pan gasket

not the good news i was hoping for, never usually is. thanks guys at least i will be prepared
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: Oil pan gasket

I battled an oil pan leak with my 406 for about 4 months. The best way to do it is to remove the engine, put it on a stand, and turn it upside down. Save yourself the headache of having to do it 2-3 times by doing it once with the engine out. If your going to do it with the engine in, I believe that you want the mark on your balancer to be at the 5:00 position. This will put the crank counter weights in the block on the first cylinders. It should allow you a little more wiggle room to get the pan out.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

heres an update, nice new Fel-pro blue gasket and mini high-torque starter are in. Only had to remove distributor cap, motor mounts and cherry picked the motor at the front w/ the crank counter weights up, just a little massaging and some new orange paint for the pan, so it can be done. (used the lift arms and a chain for a cherry picker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode