SBC gas in oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Pat

Exclamation SBC gas in oil

I recently changed intake gasket because of an anti freeze leak near the dist.I also changed the fuel pump block off (new 1,been elec. pump since I bought it)and noticed it smelled like gas.I pull the dipstick and I am pretty sure I can smell gas in the oil.What steps should I take to trouble shoot?I'm thinking a head gasket.Thanks for any input ahead of time...Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
gary

Re: SBC gas in oil

My guess would be running too rich, washing down cylinder walls. Is this carb or inj.?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Pat

I haven't started her up since,but I did change carbs and ran it once in the garage after.It was runnin rich,I'm no motor head,but what you're tellin me could be the problem.Cam info suggests a 850 cfm which I have,not sure on jet size...what max. fuel pressure should I be seeing?(holley carb)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
gary

It's been awhile but I think the fuel PSI should be around 6-7 Lbs. Somebody will verify I'm sure. If you do have gas in the oil I'd change it. Bad for bearings and a little dangerous if there is enough gas in the crankcase.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Pat

I haven't run it since and will definately be changin the oil.Thank you for your thoughts...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:19 PM
Bill

Pat,
If you have been running the engine in the garage a lot without really getting it up to operating temperature, it is pretty common to smell some fuel in the oil. Really obvious when you run Cam2 or other leaded racing fuels.

Also, like the others have said, if it is running real rich it will definitely get that way.

The head gaskets have no bearing on this at all.

If you are not going to drive it, dont start it

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Pat

Bill,I have run it a hand full of times with out letting it get to temps when I got it home.I had no fuel press. in the begining and found that the fuel filter was clogged(looked like someone had took a crap in it)and also the return line from the reg. was way to small according to manufacturer so i got that square to.It's my first hot rod(1st car period,always drove trucks,work trucks)and does not have to be run at all,atleast till I get her square.My fuel press. is set at 6 psi.I'm thinking I need a carb adj. along with allowing the motor to reach operating temps?It's a pump gas motor.Not verified yet but it's supposed to be a 10/1 comp.Thanks for any any and all advise.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 10, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

It is also possible that there is an internal leak in the fuel pump that is leaking gas back into the engine case.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode