Ooops.... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Ooops....

Ok Im in the process of replacing my transmission, long story short I was worried about leaving my car on jackstands for the next few days, went to lower it and OPPS forgot a jack under the bellhousing. I used it to jack the engine up a little to get the weight off the cross member... Anyways I cought it rather quickly but...... Did I just cost myself a lot of money? I heard some creaking but after getting the car on the ground all the motor mounts looked ok.

Boy am I stressed about this...

Oh yeah and in a panic that I may have damaged my motor mounts, I tried to start the engine to see if I could see or hear anything with the engine on, cought myself again... no trans in. Did I screw up anything in the bell housing and clutch by pushing in the clutch pedal and bumping the ignition?

Boy do I feel STUPID!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 12:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Ooops....

I'd guess the motor mounts are probably fine. By pushing in the clutch pedal, however, you might have allowed the clutch disk to fall and it may need to be aligned before you can get the trans in.

An easy check would be to see if you can get an clutch disk alignment tool seated all the way to the pilot bushing. If you can't, you'll need to re-align the clutch disk and that will involve pulling the bellhousing, loosening the pressure plate enough to align the clutch disk with an alignment tool and then torquing down the pressure plate (with the alignment tool in place).

All in all, it doesn't sound too bad. I've screwed up worse.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mkelcy; Feb 19th, 10 at 07:45 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Alright, sounds easy enough!

Thanks!

Last edited by Voodoo_Child; Feb 19th, 10 at 02:03 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Be glad the jack did not catch a fender or rocker panel! or worse an open car door. I agree with Mike. It should be fine and you hear creaking, that happens with old cars... Ask me a how I know about the fender, yep all the way up the fender... Nice custom work..

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess67 View Post
Ask me a how I know about the fender, yep all the way up the fender... Nice custom work..

I believe without a doubt that the Rat Rod craze was started solely by things like this and by people like me too lazy to do body or paint work. Bank it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Can't you realign the clutch, Push the clutch in realign with tool, release be done.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

/\ I'm sure that would work.

Boy that sucks about your fender bro, I nearly pooped my pants when I heard creaking and my car wouldn't lower any further... yikes haha

Everyone Iv talked to said it should be fine no problem, so Im not worried anymore.

Still feel stupid haha as I swore I got everything out from under the car... I could have done more harm then good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Can't I just use the input shaft from my old transmission instead of buying an alignment tool?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 04:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Yes an old input shaft is the best, a lot better than most tools,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode