Need help on what engine oil to use on my 327 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Need help on what engine oil to use on my 327

Hello everyone,

I have been looking through and reading the posts on engine oil, and I am now pretty confused.
What weight and type of engine oil should I be using on my '68's stock 327?
Does this engine have a flat tappet cam? If so, is there a special type of oil to use on it? What if I plan on switching out the cam for a better one, then what type do I need?
I have changed oil in all of my cars before, but they have all been fuel injected, and never as old as a '68, and really dont want to screw anything up.
Can someone point me in the right direction? I know this has probably been beaten to death, so I apologize if this exact question has been raised, I just didnt find the answer.
Thanks a lot for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Need help on what engine oil to use on my 327

What is the min/max temp in winter and again in summer.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
What is the min/max temp in winter and again in summer.
The min temp in winter is roughly on average 10 degrees and the max temp in winter is 40...although I wont be driving it in the winter.
The min temp in summer is on average probably 45 and max is 95.
Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Delo 15w 40 CI-4, which I think is equivalent to our ESSO 3D Extra 15w 40 CI-4 Plus in Canada.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dean

Your climate is similar to mine and I run 10-30 or 10-40 and it works fine, unless you know otherwise assume you don't have rollers.

The most important thing you need to know is make sure you add zinc unless you use a race oil with zinc in it. standard deisel oils no longer have enough zinc in them so don't rely on them, take no chances.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 10, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Only Industrial 15w 40 weight Diesel Oils have sufficient ZDDP.
Delo for the US and ESSO 3D Extra in CDA with API CI-4 (Plus)
NOT Rotella an most others.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

My builder has sent off a lot of oils for analysis and pushes Valvoline Racing and this:
http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html <- But it only comes in 15W-40.

I usually just cruise the Bob is the Oil Guy forums and check out the oil analysis numbers people post.....running Rotella 15W-40 right now on my old flat tapper flapper but that motor is coming out. A roller is going in but I think I'm going to try the new Rotella synthetic 5W-40 in it after everything is broken in. All of the analysis numbers I've seen on it come back around 1400ppm on zinc. The guys over on the turbo forums sure like it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 12:06 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

I really like valvoline 10w30
With flat tappet cams, people say to use delo 30w because of the higher zinc content, I didn't like the way the strait 30w acted, oil psi at idle was pretty low and changed alot with heat.
I probably have 6,000miles on my motor, 2 different flat tappet cams, never had a problem with using newer oils and these cams.

I just bought some 10w30 mobil 1 full synthetic that i'm going to run this weekend in the 327, i'll let you know how it performs vs. the valvoline.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
the new Rotella synthetic 5W-40 in it after everything is broken in. All of the analysis numbers I've seen on it come back around 1400ppm on zinc.
I wonder what's going on. It appears the EPA is lowering ZDDP in DINO products and increasing ZDDP content in Synthetic Oils. It is possible they are finding that engines do not leach Zinc into Catalytics when suspended in Synthetic Formulas?

The main reason Delo and ESSO 15w 40 CI-4 with 1500ppm ZDDP exist and EPA exempt is that it is produced by Big Oil Companies doing costly of OFF ROAD Exploration. Most their machinery in this arena are powered by Big Engines with no Catalytics and are not designed to run with out sufficient Zinc content. Although these products can be purchased at local outlets, it is exists for this purpose only and not for the public. Someday, the Engines of these Big Machines will be replaced to meet EPA standards but until then this DINO product can be found with without that Green Label. SAE 15w 40 Diesel Weight Oil (NO other Viscosity) that is API CI-4 (NOT CJ or SM) is the most common Oil Product used for Off Road Industrial Machinery and must contain 1500ppm ZDDP to protect their Big Machinery and good for our Classic FT mills.

It must be nice to have pull with the EPA ;o)

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Feb 20th, 10 at 12:51 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
I wonder what's going on. It appears the EPA is lowering ZDDP in DINO products and increasing ZDDP content in Synthetic Oils. It is possible they are finding that engines do not leach Zinc into Catalytics when suspended in Synthetic Formulas?
There are some notes on that down at the bottom of the page here:
http://members.themotoroilevaluator....dex.php?id=155

Since they mainly limit phosphorus, zinc winds up taking a hit since it's the other antiwear agent in ZDDP and the forumulation is around 5:4 zinc: phosphorus. I don't believe zinc on its own has the same antiwear properties as when it is in the compound.

I think it's one of those "enjoy it while you can" things. Right now the low limitations are only enforced on 20 and 30 weights. That doesn't mean that higher weights have more zinc, only that they are not limited like the lower weights. It's up to the manufacturer. Unfortunately it's hard to get an actual number out of most of them unless they're actually marketing it as a high zinc oil like Valvoline is with their "racing" oil.

Now, I have read several posts by people with diesels and WRX's that have said their oil consumption went down with the Rotella synthetic 5W-40. Typically synthetic burns off a little more in a turbo motor but they might've changed weights as well. I never had a burn off problem with a Stage II Legacy GT and Mobil-1 5W-30 like some do. Of course every engine will be a bit different.

My builder said I could get away with less zinc with the roller but that it was still good to run an oil with plenty in it. So since I like synthetic in everything else I was going to try out the Rotella.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Feb 20th, 10 at 12:43 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 01:13 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Steiner: Good read - I run a 600Hp Solid Roller MK IV engine almost daily. My cam is Cast Core with a rather modest 200/500 Spring Pressure. I prefer to use a DINO with Hi-ZDDP content like ESSO EXTRA 3D 15w 40 CI-4 Plus for the very reason that my engine is a FT to SR Retro-Fit. As the Lifter Bores have not been trued, I contend you still require ZDDP to protect Surfaces and Roller Pins from forces associated with Cam-Walk. Plus our old mills have heavy parts, loose clearances and are not finely balanced like to days Hi-Tech Engines. Our old engines do in fact take quit a bounding when we rev them to limits well beyond their design capacity in order to compete with engines 40+ years the younger. Man I feel Old right now - LOL

I also run that Oil in my 72 Laverda Breganze 750SF and it loves it compared to Castrol Motor Cycle Oils.

Canadians do not have the luxury of after market ZDDP products like the US and can not import these commodities over the Boarder.

I've run that cam for almost 4 years without issues but hope this summer to change it out for a Billet and more Spring, gotta keep up with them WSX STi's ;o)

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Feb 20th, 10 at 01:36 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 07:26 PM
charlie

i used 10-30 or 10-40 add the zinc additive
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 09:05 AM
Retired
Jim

Amsoil's oils dont need added zinc, they have many with more than enough ZDDP in them off the shelf. Remember if you are adding 'stuff' to existing oils, you are playing shade tree chemist.

Amsoil ZDDP

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 10:27 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I use Motor Guard 10W 40. It has 1800 ppm of zinc and is excellent for our flat tappet cam motors. No additive needed. Its the same oil Summit sells as a Street/Strip oil. Here is the link: http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/ind...&products_id=5
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

10w-30 Valvoline all climate oil is all you'll ever need.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode