383 rod to cam clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

383 rod to cam clearance

Everything I have ever read about building a 383 talks about checking the clearance of the rod bolts with the cam. I got an Eagle crank kit with their SIR rods to put in a 68 327 block. When I mocked it up, I found the obvious issues with the rod bolts and cylinder walls. But I can't see how to measure for clearance at the cam. There are no contact issues, it spins freely, so I am wondering if I'm missing something, or will it be OK? The cam is Comp cams XE274H, .327 lift, 274/286 (230/236 @ .050) duration, 110 LSA. The rods have capscrews, not the factory style bolts thru the rod shoulder with nuts on the rod cap. Maybe Eagle does it this way so they are already clearanced? Or maybe the mild hydraulic cam is small enough to stay out of harms way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 06:09 PM
Bill

Re: 383 rod to cam clearance

A,
Most of the cap screw rods have enough room but you really need to check it. I use a piece of .050 thick mechanics wire that is bent at the end and just slowly turn the crank until it looks like it is at the closest spot, then see if I can slide the wire through. I have tried putting a little bit of clay on the rod, but that does not seem to work very good. It is time consuming, but you absolutely have to check it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 06:21 PM
Banned

Make sure you have the Sir rods ckecked for size after they have been retorqued as we have seen problems with them before.

A guy brought a rotator in to balance a month and I checked one rod and it was round then broke it down and retorqued it and it showed to be .0015 out of round and he said it would be fine, The engine lasted less then a week.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I sand down the end of a Slip Tie and MIC it. It will slide easily into places such as Piston Skirts to Crank Throws, Rod to Cam, Spring Bind ... etc to determine clearances.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I have used a large paperclip bent to slip in between the rod and cam (almost exactly .050), but the best way I have found is with one rod a time you can slip a valve adjusting type feeler gauge (bent) in there.

Definitely check but I'll be surprised if you have an issue with a cap screw rod and that cam.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everybody - all sound like good tips. I used .062 for the rod bolt to block clearance (the diameter of 14 AWG romex - I'm more qualified as an electrician than a mechanic). But it sounds like .050 is enough clearance at the cam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clearance, rod bolts, stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode