LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford
Am I under carbed ?

I have a 632 cube Tall Deck BBC.

It is a crate motor that came with a single 1050 dominator

Want old school toughness and don't mind sacrificing a few HP (dynoed at 816hp at the flywheel anyway and this is for a street car so a few less G-G's won't worry me)

Now I have a Edelbrock C-66-R and I got twin 600CFM Endura Shine Performer carbs. It's a tall deck block and no tall deck manifolds so it's running spacers between the manifold and the heads (made and sold by Edelbrock for this very purpose)

I'm no expert in carburettion but everyone who looks at the car (still being built) say the 600's are way too small.

I want polished or endura shine as it is a show car.

I've been told I should go a Holley Ultra Dominator (like a 700CFM or 750), I've also noticed that there is a Thunder Series Edelbrock in Endura shine

My questions are:
1. Which carb would you recommend (Holley Ultra or Edelbrock Thunder) - Note I am a novice on dual quads so want it to be easy tuning
2. if Holley as recommendation - can they fit a Edelbrock C-66 intake manifold - I hear they are both square bore. I've done a ton of web searches and can't get a straight answer.

Will be calling both Edelbrock and Holley tomorrow (Mon here in Oz, still only Sun there in the US), but interested in people's thoughts

Thanks in advance for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Am I under carbed ?

Quote:
Mon here in Oz, still only Sun there in the US
What a MONSTER Engine - Gads! - Is it a Holiday on Monday? And I thought I had problems - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Edelbrock carbs are not the greatest for performance, and tuning can't be as accurate as a holley in my opinion.
I would def. go with a holley based carb.
There are alot of brands based off of holley that are very pretty, and expensive.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 03:46 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Beings its a street/show car I think you'll be fine with 2 x 600's.
I do not like Edel. Carbs but thats me...

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 11:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

No offense, but if it is a show car why does it matter what carbs are on it? Just curious.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
No offense, but if it is a show car why does it matter what carbs are on it? Just curious.
No offence taken, will be shown for 1st year then driven hard, real hard
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
I have a 632 cube Tall Deck BBC.

It is a crate motor that came with a single 1050 dominator

I'm no expert in carburettion but everyone who looks at the car (still being built) say the 600's are way too small.
My math says 2 X 600 = 1200?

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
george

Year one..run the eddy 2x4 setup for the car shows.
Year two..ditch the bling bling and reinstall the dom atop a Weiand Team G.Part#7624 for tall decks.You did say you want to pound on it..dont let a tiny 540 spank your 632.
Was a time not long ago..that 454 cid ruled.Now here i am calling a 540 tiny.My,how the times are changing.In a good way though.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Dont worry about what the tirekickers are saying.You will need to calibrate any carbs you choose to work with the tunnel ram,but you dont need giant carbs to make the power your engine dyno'ed at.If you want the big carb look try adding a secondary metering block and center hung float bowls to your existing carbs.They will look just a big as any tricked out 950,but still be only 600.You can buy the float bowls in the shiny finish,but I am not sure about the metering block kit.Good luck.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks all for the advice, I spoke with Edelbrock today and I am all good.

Issue ain't the carbs, it's the low rise dual quad manifold. It just isn't going to provide enough flow at high RPM's

Good news is even with the high rise single plane and 1050 Dominator engine made 816Hp and 825 ft/lbs at 4300 peak

So while I know I will lose some Hp, Edelbrock tell me that the low rise dual quad is good to 5000 rpm and dual 600's are plenty big enough

Hey if it drops to 750 Hp it will still be enough to scare the crap out of me on the street

When I go racing I'll probably just bite the bullet and go blown / injected. Then no 540 will touch me anyway
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

You might want to look into having that low rise intake ported.It may never come up to the level of the race intake and dominator,but if you are paying the price for running a hot engine already(rough idle,somewhat poor street manners} why not get your money's worth out of it?I dont know much about the intake you are choosing but here is some advice.Make sure it is ported to match the heads,if there is a plenum divider under each carb remove it,and if you have room for a 1" tapered spacer under each carb then do it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 10, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Im with Ace's68.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Thanks all for the advice, I spoke with Edelbrock today and I am all good.

Issue ain't the carbs, it's the low rise dual quad manifold. It just isn't going to provide enough flow at high RPM's

Good news is even with the high rise single plane and 1050 Dominator engine made 816Hp and 825 ft/lbs at 4300 peak

So while I know I will lose some Hp, Edelbrock tell me that the low rise dual quad is good to 5000 rpm and dual 600's are plenty big enough

Hey if it drops to 750 Hp it will still be enough to scare the crap out of me on the street

When I go racing I'll probably just bite the bullet and go blown / injected. Then no 540 will touch me anyway
They will tell you anything to sell a product.
The guys here will tell you straight up.
But I see your point on not caring about max power, everyone is different.
Here is a link to a pretty carb that will perform and in my opinion looks better than any edelbrock, it's based off of holley:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-Q-750/?rtype=10

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode