Holley electric choke problems and frustrations!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Holley electric choke problems and frustrations!!!

After just reading the above post from Dennis on vendor bashing.....I want to be clear that I'm not upset with the holley choke.....I'm pisssssssssed at myself for not being able to understand it. Now that we have that out of the way, on with the original post!

Okay guys..........I've had it with something so simple. Done tons of searching, trying to find info and PICS of how to set these things. Just got off the phone with holley tech (laughing) went out to the truck and what he said is making no sense.

Just got done reading a post on Team Chevelle from a guy that thinks you're an idiot if you can figure them out (more or less). The post is here:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262531

The Holley DVD only says to move the cap to get the flap where you want it and the rest will take care of itself......BS!

The pic he references looks nothing like my choke. There is nothing to bend. I am mechanically inclined and I can't see how you can keep the fast idle going when the coil causes the flap to open and the fast idle cam rests on the flap rod. One is tied to the other.

The direction read like a Ronco ad "set it and forget it". LOL If I turn the cap counterclock wise to get the fast idle to stay on longer.....per the directions, then the choke flap completely closes at start up and chokes out the motor. If I turn the cap to the left so there is about 1/4" on the flap opening, then the choke comes off if you breathe on it. I really don't understand this pull off thing and how the flap can be sep from the fast idle. Please help before I light the customer's truck on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dubs68camaro; Feb 24th, 10 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 05:37 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: Holley electric choke problems and frustrations!!!

I just installed a Holley Avenger 870 on my BBC. Before I turn the key, I pump the gas several times, then start the car without the pedal. Starts nice with high idle. On my application if I start the car while giving it gas, it will start with NO fast idle. I guess I have to play a little more with it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I live where it still is getting into the 20's at night. I need high idle and I need it to stay on for a bit before it comes off. I have the correct high idle/rpm with the cold start it's just that you can't even begin to move it. Touching the gas causes the fast idle cam to drop off.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

On a carburetored car you must depress the gas pedal to the floor to set the choke before starting or you will not get fast idle.

To keep the choke on longer, on your street avenger, turn electric choke counter clockwise.

Also there is a screw under the choke housing to set the choke rpm.

You can go to Holleys web site for this info.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuro View Post
To keep the choke on longer, on your street avenger, turn electric choke counter clockwise.

Also there is a screw under the choke housing to set the choke rpm.

You can go to Holleys web site for this info.
It's not a street avneger but that doesn't matter. Of course I'm hitting the pedal a couple of times to set the choke. Problem with counter clockwise to keep the choke on longer, then it's way too rich and will barely start the next time because the flap is closed all the way.

For all others wanting to help. Please read the original post so we don't keep going over the same stuff. thanks!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

What is the model number of the carb you have? I didn't see it mentioned in the original post or any subsequent posts.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

You have to find that happy medium with the choke. Start in the middle with your choke setting them move either lean or rich, in small increments to achive the condition you want. It just takes a little time to get it right.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:46 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
then it's way too rich and will barely start the next time because the flap is closed all the way.
dub,
The choke is SUPPOSED to be closed all the way when it is cold. If the engine will not start with the choke closed, then something else is not adjusted / tuned properly.

Also, dont fool yourself into thinking that a modified engine with a Holley carb is going to start and idle like something with fuel injection, or even like something stock with a Q-jet etc ..... aint going to happen ! In 20 degree weather, you will have to sit in the car and "play" with the throttle for a while until the engine gets some heat in it, then it might idle decently. Maybe

If you want an engine that starts and idles like a 2006 Chevy truck, then put fuel injection on it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
dub,
The choke is SUPPOSED to be closed all the way when it is cold. If the engine will not start with the choke closed, then something else is not adjusted / tuned properly.

Also, dont fool yourself into thinking that a modified engine with a Holley carb is going to start and idle like something with fuel injection, or even like something stock with a Q-jet etc ..... aint going to happen ! In 20 degree weather, you will have to sit in the car and "play" with the throttle for a while until the engine gets some heat in it, then it might idle decently. Maybe

If you want an engine that starts and idles like a 2006 Chevy truck, then put fuel injection on it.
Good point Bill......I should add that this is a 1 ton 2wd truck with a older 454 and basically no cam. Holley tech says the flap should close with about 1/4 inch from the housing so it can breathe just a little. It's starting and warming up great as long as you don't have to actually drive the truck or the choke will come off when still cold. Will die at a stop sign. This carb was just built and works perfect when warm. I do not believe there are any other issues.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 05:21 AM
Bill

Dub,
Try closing the choke all the way and see what happens. It sounds like the idle circuit might be a little lean also. Depending on the entire engine combination, it might not ever work 100% like you want it to.

Which carb is it ? Manifold ? EGR hooked up and working ? Vacuum advance working ? Timing adjusted properly ?

Also, the fast idle speed should be adjustable. There should be a small screw that hits on the cam and adjusts the speed. You might need to speed it up a little, there are steps on the fast idle cam and once it is off the first step, the idle just might not be fast enough for that in between period from totally cold to warmed up.

I know you wont want to hear this, but as much as I love Holley carbs and have used them in performance applications for close to 40 years now, I would never have one on a vehicle like that. It would have a Quadrajet or it would be converted to fuel injection.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

pooh pooh on you bill......lol

I know what you are saying. It's a landscaping turd truck on a budget and I'm just trying to get the guy going. Carb works flawless when warm. I believe the idle circuit to be dialed. No shimmy or shake like a lean motor. Fortunately.....warmer weather is near and it won't be such an issue. Thanks guys for the help!!!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech

I used to hate electric chokes. Shut off the car for 5 minutes and the damn thing would come back on thinking the motor was cold. Then they came out with this....http://www.holley.com/45-267.asp. Might fix your problem.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Holley electric choke problems and frustrations!!!

I can only recommend three (3) things that might address you issues;
1.) - check the float level as installed and make sure they are set to the correct level.
2.) - lossen the choke retainer screws and back the choke off some to give a gap (no tension) on plate to housing, allow the engine to 'cold-soak' (completely cooled down, like overnight) to be sure the choke thermal spring is completely released to the rest position, then set the choke plate to just touching the housing, adjust the Idle set-screws to 1 1/2 ~ 2 turns out from seated, depress throttle to set the choke assembly and start engine ... observe operation. It should start and idle on high-idle until the pull off releases the choke after getting to temp.
A slight adjust ment of the Idle screws may be needed after it is completely warmed up - but not more than 1/2 turn!
3.) - If the above two items do not address this, check carefully for vacuum leaks, timeing issues or other Non-carb. causes ...

You may also want to consider installing a 'dropping resistor' (available at any parts house) in the power feed to the choke - this will provide a slight delay in warm up cycle as well as help the life of the choke.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 07:22 PM

I usually miss the point but are you sure you have 12 volts at the choke connection? In my experience the coil heats up quickly after the engine has set for 15-20 minutes. It doesn't set as rich as if the engine/choke had set for several hrs and cooled all the way down. Face it...as has been mentioned already...a carb is no where as efficient as our FI cars today...these were back in the days when everything was less rushed......
Carl Childers
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Since an electric choke like yours is not in any way connected to engine heat,it will never be fully matched to any particular applation.An intake on 454 has lot more metal to warm up then a small block,and a lower compression street engine wants more heat in it before it runs properly.In your case you can basically run your choke through it's paces on your work bench with no engine under it at all,it is obvious that it isnt working with any input form your engine.At best it will be a compromise that will allow you to run the warm idle lean enough that it wont blacken the plugs or waste gas and still get the engine running on a cold morning.Lots of guys will tell you that their car starts and runs in the dead cold with no choke,but their stuff is set up way too rich.If they had it set right it would need a choke.Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode