ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Rich
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 11
ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

I am purchasing a ZZ383 and do not know if I have the hood clearance for the single plane high rise intake manifold (12496822)that the GMPP recommends or do I go with the duel plane (12366573) for a cost of 15-20HP. I have a 1968 coupe with the stock hood (not cowl). Is anyone running this engine with the single plane high rise intake with the stock coupe hood? Thanks for anyone's help.
rrobson1977 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 06:48 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,215
Garage
Re: zz383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

I have an ss hood with a BBC under it and a Performer RPM manifold. I had to use Proforms dropped aircleaner base for it to fit. Its close, but it fits. Not sure if this info will help, but it may give you some baseline.
DT is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,111
Re: zz383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

I think the Victor Jr and Team G are both approx to the RPM in hight.

I had a 6" K/N stuffed under a cowl hood with a dropped base cleaner, im sure a 3" would fit fine under the SS hood with a dropped base.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
Jeremiah is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, USA
Posts: 10,511
Re: zz383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson1977 View Post
I am purchasing a ZZ383 and do not know if I have the hood clearance for the single plane high rise intake manifold (12496822)that the GMPP recommends or do I go with the duel plane (12366573) for a cost of 15-20HP. I have a 1968 coupe with the stock hood (not cowl). Is anyone running this engine with the single plane high rise intake with the stock coupe hood? Thanks for anyone's help.
If this is a street car, I'd recommend the dual plane Performer RPM Vortec, which WILL fit under a stock flat hood when used with a GM drop base air cleaner and a 3" element. Not recommending the RPM jus because it'll fit, but because it'll perform better on the street(probably)

I doubt that GM makes that single plane intake - it's probably made by Edelbrock, and is probably a Victor Jr. or Super Victor. If you go to Edelbrock's site and dig around, you'll find measurements for their intakes, and you can compare with the Perf RPM.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BPOS is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,111
Re: zz383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
If this is a street car, I'd recommend the dual plane Performer RPM Vortec, which WILL fit under a stock flat hood when used with a GM drop base air cleaner and a 3" element. Not recommending the RPM jus because it'll fit, but because it'll perform better on the street(probably)

I doubt that GM makes that single plane intake - it's probably made by Edelbrock, and is probably a Victor Jr. or Super Victor. If you go to Edelbrock's site and dig around, you'll find measurements for their intakes, and you can compare with the Perf RPM.
I think your right, all of the GM Bowtie intakes I have seen look exactly like an Edelbrock offering with different markings. I agree also that the RPM intake would be a good match for the ZZ383's power and RPM range.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
Jeremiah is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Bill
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,349
Re: ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

I do run the zz383 w/RPM air-gap dual plane - vortec manifold. I've got SS hood which has a tad more room than a standard hood - this combo fits w/room using a drop base 14 x 3". Course Edel vs. Holley carbs can make a diff as well and I'm runnin a standard holley. Can't recall which one provides for more clearance but do remember a difference. It's hard for me to say the single plane would be any better or worse but I do know that the engine is very responsive across the board with the dual plane. I went through same dilemna when I got that eng. and was steered toward the dual plane and have no regrets on a car that is mostly street driven with about 25 runs at teh drag strip ea. year.
68RS-SS is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Rich
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 11
Re: ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate the help.
rrobson1977 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Lane
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 515
Re: ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
I do run the zz383 w/RPM air-gap dual plane - vortec manifold. I've got SS hood which has a tad more room than a standard hood - this combo fits w/room using a drop base 14 x 3". Course Edel vs. Holley carbs can make a diff as well and I'm runnin a standard holley. Can't recall which one provides for more clearance but do remember a difference. It's hard for me to say the single plane would be any better or worse but I do know that the engine is very responsive across the board with the dual plane. I went through same dilemna when I got that eng. and was steered toward the dual plane and have no regrets on a car that is mostly street driven with about 25 runs at teh drag strip ea. year.
X's 2. I love my RPM air gap and it fits under my stock hood. You can click my link to see pics. FYI, I recently blew out the power valve in the Holley and rather than rebuild it, decided to bolt on an Edelbrock 800 AVS, which also fits under the hood (and for those who are wondering, the top end isn't as good as the Holley, but the throttle response is better).

Lane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rlyfst1 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 10:34 AM
Tech Team
Joe
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 37
Re: ZZ383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

I know this is old, but I can address the question for a 69, which may help people in the future. A zz383 with a single plane intake (12496822) will not fit under a stock 69 hood hood regardless of drop base air cleaner. I tried. The carb itself was hitting hood insulation.

Last edited by joebobo32; Sep 24th, 14 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
joebobo32 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Anne
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eddyville KY
Posts: 1,470
Re: zz383 hood clearance intake question low or high rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
If this is a street car, I'd recommend the dual plane Performer RPM Vortec, which WILL fit under a stock flat hood when used with a GM drop base air cleaner and a 3" element. Not recommending the RPM jus because it'll fit, but because it'll perform better on the street(probably)

I doubt that GM makes that single plane intake - it's probably made by Edelbrock, and is probably a Victor Jr. or Super Victor. If you go to Edelbrock's site and dig around, you'll find measurements for their intakes, and you can compare with the Perf RPM.
X2 on this. And be sure to get the vortec intake like Al said !

BTW, that's a killer engine (grudgingly said by a BBC fanatic)

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Lawrence454 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome