010 block date code - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

010 block date code

Ok so I bought this 69 Z28 8 months ago, seller says, no way it could me matching, how could it be, everything on the car correct, 6A car, pad stamp VO0515DZ, fan may 69, brake booster original and correct, carb may 2, anyway, not a issue, nice car nice price so I bought it, so it starts driving me crazy, the block is 010 so that is correct era block, I can not find any vin by oil filter, it is not there, so tonight I take off hood to finally get a good look at the date pad behind dist, and ahhhggggggg, nothing there, the pad behind the dist on pass side is blank, nothing ground off, you can tell, all the little metal dimples correct metal surface, so what ya think, they forget to put the little date code thing on it when casting block, or is this a later era 010 block and the date code somewhere else, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 010 block date code

does anyone know how to identify a 69 010 block form a later 010 block, if there is such a way
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 010 block date code

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Tom, I went and ran my fingers down the ridge behind the dist and did not feel anything, I do not know, I have been unde,r over,, on top of ,inside, just about everywhere on this motor and cannot find it
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you look at the VIN pad on that picture Tom posted, I believe they are much smaller on the later model blocks. I have a '78 010 block and the VIN pad is less than 3" wide or so.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

On these 69 Norwood Z's they stamped the VIN on a ridge next to the oil filter starting around April, they got tired of taking the alternator off too stamp the VIN on the pad, I just measured my pad and it is 4 1/2 inches long, wonder what era that gets me
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 10:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

It was common practice for machine shops to deck the head surface area and machine off the Engine ID number/V.I.N. code, I did that to many a block back in the 80's when I worked at Wayne's Engine and head Exchange in southern california, we had no reason to put the numbers back, we were just building Motors that worked and didn't care about date coding, number matching, or any of that

Rodney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes I am Aware of the decking process, as stated in above post vin on this car would be on pad near oil filter, the norwood plant changed the process
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Here’s a picture of a 010 that is close to yours.
Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V0509DZ.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	14473  

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Pete

Going through some of my books I found that the 010 block was put into production late April early May of 69, in both 2 and 4 blot configurations, and was used through 1975. As mentioned by others, the casting date should be stamped on the top right rear of the block by bellhousing flange, opposite the block casting number. The book states that some blocks have the casting date on the long side of the block by one of the freeze plugs. Maybe? Generally the block would have been cast 1 - 3 weeks before the assembly date.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 02:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Take a good pic of the pad stamping and post it here.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The pad stamping is not the issue, here is the issue-----if the date code is not on the bellhousing flange, where else could it be, or is there cases where it has been omitted, I also have a 66L78 and I can tell you horror stories about block discrepancies and omitted vins or stamps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode