Camel Hump non accessory holes - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Camel Hump non accessory holes

I recently bought a 327 with Cammel Heads with Non accessory holes that i'm going to be droping in into my 81, i'm having a problem finding power steering bracket & Alternator Brackets, I know there's alan grove components Brackets out there but i'm not looking to spend that kind of money on brackets! and i also don't want to take and the risk and tap into the heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: Camel Hump non accessory holes

try welding a nut or a stack of nuts on the head.

back in the early 80's my best friend had a 79 Z-28, we put a sbc with camel non accesory holed heads on his car, we found a bracket from somewhere that worked fine. Don't ask me what the bracket came off of, we didn't know at the time.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

any '68 and earlier chevrolet passenger car brackets will work

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
try welding a nut or a stack of nuts on the head.
yeah right...welding cast or onto cast can cause seruois damage without pre heat ovens,

Check out old posts as to making a bracket that bolts to the water pump bolts.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 10:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
yeah right...welding cast or onto cast can cause seruois damage without pre heat ovens,

Check out old posts as to making a bracket that bolts to the water pump bolts.
Several years ago I repaired dozens of antique cast iron door hinges for people restoring older homes here locally, no oven was necessary.

I used a small oxyacetelene torch and used old piston rings as a rod. I bet the same process would work for welding nuts made of mild steel to cast, no problem.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I've Drilled and Tap into the Head Casting to mount the Alternator and had no problem; however, GM does have a bracket which mounts to the Exhaust Studs to use the 69/70 pulley system but that Bracket is hard to find. If you can find a Pic of this Bracket, it should not be hard to fabricate.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to be using a Long water Pump so the Alternator is going be mounted on the Passenger side.

Do you guy's think this will work for the Alternator bracket?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4050/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4018/

or could i use this and put a nut on the back of the lower bracket?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4017/

and for the Power steering Pump bracket will this kit work?
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...umpbracket.jpg

Thanks i really appreciate all the help
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Camel Hump non accessory holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968RallySport View Post
any '68 and earlier chevrolet passenger car brackets will work
The only problem that I see, is that pre '69 brackets are for a short water pump and your '81 is a long water pump. Meaning if you are using your '81 accessories, you need a long water pump and '69 or newer accessory brackets and pulleys.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 01:05 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

I used the bracket in the first link for the alternator, and then a different skinny bracket from the first hole on the water pump to the top of the alternator (adjustment).

I'd suggest welding the first bracket, it is very weakly spot welded and mine broke.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

For the altenator,use the stock passenger side brackets,use a nut on the back side of the lower bracket,then bend the ear on the upper bracket so that it no lnger bolts to the water neck bolt.Having the top of the alt mounted too solid while the bottom vibrates causes belt toss,allowing the top to flex bit along wih the bottom keeps the belt on.THIS IS EXACTLY HOW THE GM DRIVER'S SIDE SETUP WORKED.
And for the power steering pump,it is a little more difficult.You need a power steering pump that has the double bracket were it bolts to the water pump,meaning you need one that has a bracket on the front where the bolt passes thru,and a bracket on the back with the nut welded to it.Chances are you power steering pump has a single bracket.For the other side of the pump you can use only the bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold,and can use it by putting a stud on the front header bolt hole{if you have headers} and bolting the bracket on there.I believe that the double bracket PS pump is designed for cars wth AC,and has the 2 groove pulley,which is more desireabe in our setup since you wont ever be able to get a real lot of tension on the belt.No matter what you do,there isn a good way to make it work with a long water pump,but the altenator belt toss issue is easy to solve,and te PS setup is going to be a rigged up setup.Good luck.

BTW,if you dont like the idea of ending/cuttin your stock top alt bracket,you can make it neat by buying a inexpensive universal chrome driver's side bracket,cutting it down and drilling the mounting hole in the correct spot,then putting a little bend in it to correctly position the alt on the passeger side.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

#1 top bracket bent to clear bolt{but not too notceable)
2 lower bracket converted to short bolt

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
For the altenator,use the stock passenger side brackets,use a nut on the back side of the lower bracket,then bend the ear on the upper bracket so that it no lnger bolts to the water neck bolt.Having the top of the alt mounted too solid while the bottom vibrates causes belt toss,allowing the top to flex bit along wih the bottom keeps the belt on.THIS IS EXACTLY HOW THE GM DRIVER'S SIDE SETUP WORKED.
And for the power steering pump,it is a little more difficult.You need a power steering pump that has the double bracket were it bolts to the water pump,meaning you need one that has a bracket on the front where the bolt passes thru,and a bracket on the back with the nut welded to it.Chances are you power steering pump has a single bracket.For the other side of the pump you can use only the bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold,and can use it by putting a stud on the front header bolt hole{if you have headers} and bolting the bracket on there.I believe that the double bracket PS pump is designed for cars wth AC,and has the 2 groove pulley,which is more desireabe in our setup since you wont ever be able to get a real lot of tension on the belt.No matter what you do,there isn a good way to make it work with a long water pump,but the altenator belt toss issue is easy to solve,and te PS setup is going to be a rigged up setup.Good luck.

BTW,if you dont like the idea of ending/cuttin your stock top alt bracket,you can make it neat by buying a inexpensive universal chrome driver's side bracket,cutting it down and drilling the mounting hole in the correct spot,then putting a little bend in it to correctly position the alt on the passeger side.
so you don't think this bracket will work for the steering pump?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

It's hard to tell in the package just what they are.If they are designed for a long water pump then thats what you need/
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchmidt View Post
It's hard to tell in the package just what they are.If they are designed for a long water pump then thats what you need/
on the ad it is says for Long style water pump and here are the instructions

will this kit work for me?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Zapper View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to be using a Long water Pump so the Alternator is going be mounted on the Passenger side.

Do you guy's think this will work for the Alternator bracket?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4050/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4018/

or could i use this and put a nut on the back of the lower bracket?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4017/

and for the Power steering Pump bracket will this kit work?
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...umpbracket.jpg

Thanks i really appreciate all the help
I've run double humps for years without the hole in the heads, but it regularly threw the belt at High RPM when flogging it - without the rear of the lower bolt stablized I never could mainain good parrellelism between the alternator pulley and the water pump / harmonic balancer pulley, it turns under tension just enough to cause problems. You really need to fabricate a brace for the rear of the lower bolt to keep it straight. It will run fine most of the time but bring a wrench and a spare belt with you in the trunk in case you spit the belt while playing around.

On the mounts you posted from Summit, I'm pretty sure that first one is a bracket to put the alternator on the drivers side like 67's and 68s, and it won't work right on the passenger side, I've tried them. The other brackets are just chrome repros of the origional brackets for a 69, and they won't keep the rear of the lower bolt in the right position to keep the alternator in the right position from my experience.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode