Cam and lifter ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 10, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Cam and lifter ???

Looking at a solid and a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft side by side, is it easy to tell which is which?

How about the lifters? How to tell the difference?

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Cam and lifter ???

Two ways to tell:
1. Solid lifter will be heavier in weight
2. Remove the pushrod cup, solid will be solid; hydraulic will have a inner cylinder.

Other suggestions?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Were the lobe profiles different between the solid and hyd? I'm asking because I can't remember which cam I have is the -140 2nd design solid. The other is a .480 lift hyd.

On the lifters one set has the small wire style keeper to hold the plunger in and the other has a true arch style keeper and the plunger sits down lower in the lifter body.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

There is no visable diference in the cams themselves.Back in the day I read something about there being a different number of bands machined around the outside of hydraulic and solid lifers.I never remeber that one.When new you can push the pushrod pluger down on a hydraulic lifter{and it will pop back up) while a solid will be just that,solid.When used,hydraulic lifters should never rattle when shaken,but solids sometmes do,but not always.Good luck.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I have been doing a search on the internet and it seems not many know much about camshafts. Most of the post I have read surfing the net give a pat answer to this question and some are just plan silly. Check this one out.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6193848AAgcNJl

and this: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242126

Maybe the engine builders will enlighten us.

I'm fairly sure I know which is which by looking at mine. I know one is a solid and one is hydraulic and the lobe profiles are way different.

On the lifters there is a pat answer to that as well on the internet. Not very many know how to tell the difference by just looking at it.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Can't answer your cam question but if you put a hyd lifter in a vise, you can slowly squeeze out the oil in them. Then watch the spring pop the cup back up. I just did this on my lifters to purge the old oil out before re-assembling the engine.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 11:06 AM
Team Member
John

Here's the difference in the lifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HydLifter.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	14549   Click image for larger version

Name:	HydraulicLifter.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	14550   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolidLifter.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	14551  

JohnZ
CRG
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Cam and lifter ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
... one is a solid and one is hydraulic and the lobe profiles are way different.

On the lifters there is a pat answer to that as well on the internet. Not very many know how to tell the difference by just looking at it.
If you study the profiles, you will see the 'Solid' cam has a much smoother ramp design (or profile) than the hydraulic.
The hydraulic will have a fair steep ramp and a pretty 'pointy' max lift area - or peak - vs. the solids rather rounded lobe peak.

The lifters, as pointed out already, are easy to tell apart by construction.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Can anyone take a pick of a cam lobe on a -140 cam for me? I need to re-educate myself now. One of my cams is a -140, I need to find out which one.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
greg

You know one cam has .480 lift so divide that by the 1.5 rocker ratio that the lift is figured on. Then measure from the bottom of the cam to the highest point of the lobe. Then measure the width or diameter of the cam lobe, side to side, and then subtract that from the first number you got and see what that number is, it should be your lobe lift. .480/1.5=.32 which should be your first number. Do you know if your .480 cam was a single profile or not?? You might check one intake lobe and one exhaust lobe and see if they are the same. If one cam has the same intake and exhaust number then it is probably not the 140 cam which is a split duration cam I think around .493/.512 .512/1.5=.3413 would be the number you subtract the diameter from on the exhaust lobe. If you have a digital caliper this may work for you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwilcar View Post
You know one cam has .480 lift so divide that by the 1.5 rocker ratio that the lift is figured on. Then measure from the bottom of the cam to the highest point of the lobe. Then measure the width or diameter of the cam lobe, side to side, and then subtract that from the first number you got and see what that number is, it should be your lobe lift. .480/1.5=.32 which should be your first number. Do you know if your .480 cam was a single profile or not?? You might check one intake lobe and one exhaust lobe and see if they are the same. If one cam has the same intake and exhaust number then it is probably not the 140 cam which is a split duration cam I think around .493/.512 .512/1.5=.3413 would be the number you subtract the diameter from on the exhaust lobe. If you have a digital caliper this may work for you.

Sounds like a good thing to try. I don't have a caliper handy but I can get one.

Thanks

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

measure the cams with calipers
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 09:04 AM
Team Member
John

If it's a GM cam, the "-140" (P/N 3927140) cam will have at least the last four digits of the casting number (3927141) on the core. If it's the second design off-road cam (P/N 3965754), it will have at least the last four digits of the casting number (3965751) on the core.

Intake lobe lift on the -140 cam is .3286", and on the second-design cam it's .3412". Exhaust is .3412" and .3566" respectively.

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode