What's the best battery available these days? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What's the best battery available these days?

What's the best battery availble these days?

Let's have two categories:

a) money no object:

b) money an object:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: What's the best battery available these days?

Personally, I like the yellow top optima, I have 2 of them both about 8 years old and still work great even after letting them go dead from sitting over a year through cold winters. One's in my Z11, and one is in my boat. I hear Deka makes a good Gel battery too, but have no expeience with them. Both would fall into catagory 'A' , I don't have a recommendatino for catagory 'B'.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i think i'm going to steer clear of optima for now due to the recent quality control issues.

PT.2

Which company(s) make which brand(s)? Also, where is the battery made?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I have AC Delco in both of my cars. The first is on it's year 5 with power to spare. Cost about $100.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Dean

Optima is hard to beat, in conventional batteries Gould is tops. I have lots of equipment and anything that comes with a OEM battery made by gould is good for 10+ years most of the time.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I've had very good luck with NAPA "Legend". Reasonably priced.

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 06:34 PM
Team Member
Jake

Always ran optima yellow tops with no problems...Jake
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 06:52 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Dunno what the big deal with batteries is.... I have a cheapo walmart in my old 69 GMC farm truck, and another in my old silverado that have been there for MANY years and still crank them both up just fine.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
James

I have always had good luck with Interstate Batteries.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

My uncle has a blue top optima in his 65 Nova and it sits anywhere from 2-4 months at a time between being started up. The battery has been in the car since 03 or 04 and he hasn't had an issue with it yet.

I've had great luck with wal-mart's everstart batteries and advance auto parts titanium batteries.

I haven't had much luck with optima red tops though. I've put 3 of them in my 99 SS within about a 3 year time period. I don't know what gets them. I drive it once or twice a week so it doesn't sit for long periods of time.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

For ordinary (lead acid) batteries do a web search and you'll find that only about 3 companies in the US make all the different brand batteries. Therefore a decent size walmart battery is about as good as the same size battery from somewhere else.

Get the biggest battery you can stuff in the battery box with the correct terminal orientation and style.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

One that starts the engine and remains charged. To me the CTC MotoMaster 72 Series 2 year Warranted Batteries (Living in Canada) last just as long, if not longer, then more expensive Batteries. I easily get 5 years out of them and longer if you take care of them, while the Premium Eliminator Series 5 year batteries usually CRASH after 3 years and it cost you more to replace under the Warranty Adjustment then if you just bought the Cheaper Battery in the first place.

I think most these High Priced Warranty Adjusted Batteries are just a SCAM as it Cost you more in the Long Run.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
For ordinary (lead acid) batteries do a web search and you'll find that only about 3 companies in the US make all the different brand batteries. Therefore a decent size walmart battery is about as good as the same size battery from somewhere else.
Actually, even though they are made by the same company they are not all the same. There can be quite a bit of different in batteries. Saying they are all the same is like saying a Cobalt is the same thing as a Corvette because they are both made by GM. Purity of the lead plates is one of reasons some die early deaths from sulfation and others last a long time. AGM and Gel batteries have high purity lead plates which is one of the reaons they last so long. They can have very high purity because the AGM / Gel matts help support the plates, high purity plates are not as strong. Higher purity plates are also more expensive.

If you don't like Optimas, get any deep cycle AGM/Gel battery and they will probably last a very long time. Northstar and Deka are two that have good reputations, but there are others. Deep cycle batteries can be heavily discharged and still come back to near full power with a recharge, most regular wet batteries will be dead if you do that a couple times. I know from experience, mostly with my boat - boats are very hard on batteries because they often sit long periods of time without being used. I had 2 Walmart starting batteries die in my first year of ownership (2001) and 3 trolling batteries die, in the second year of ownership. Replaced the starting battery with an Optima yellow top(still in there and working fine) and the trollers with Interstate deep cycles which lasted 1.5 years. I replaced then repaced the Interstates with Dual Pro's (made by Northstar) and they are still in the boat working fine. The other nice thing about AGM/Gels is they will deliver much more power as they discharge than a wet battery, for the most part you won't know they are low on a charge at all from how they crank / pull trolling even as low as 10 volts.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 06:58 AM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
Dunno what the big deal with batteries is.... I have a cheapo walmart in my old 69 GMC farm truck, and another in my old silverado that have been there for MANY years and still crank them both up just fine.
I agree. Find a battery with the proper specs that fits your budget and be happy.

I can't remember that last time I ever changed a battery. The one in my truck is almost 10 years old.... it's a run-of-the-mill Interstate or something, and I've jumped many a vehicle with it.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

After you get your battery, get a Battery Tender. You will be glad you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode