Crane Cams - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Crane Cams

Anyone familiar with Crane Cam camshaft numbers? I put away 2 camshafts that where just broke in a few years ago and for the life of me I don't remember which one is which now. I know one is a solid grind and the other is hydraulic.

One has 882 CR on the gear end with 11 47 02 below it. I went to the Crane site but could not find any info. I have the card that came with the cam and know what the specs are but two issues I am have are, telling a solid from a hyd. and not having the means to check them out.

Help!!

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 05:09 AM
Bill

Re: Crane Cams

Gary,
If you have the cam card, it should have everything you need on it. If it does not, call Crane and they will give you the information. A phone call is so easy

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Gary,
If you have the cam card, it should have everything you need on it. If it does not, call Crane and they will give you the information. A phone call is so easy
Hi Bill thanks for the reply.

Well...my problem really doesn't need me to call Crane. The problem I have is I put away 2 cams, 1 solid (the -140) and 1 hydraulic (.480" lift). I broke them both in years ago and then put them on a shelf and forgot about them. Now I want to use the -140 cam and I can't remember which is which. I'm beginning to realize that no one seems to know (at least here) how to visually tell the 2 a part. Spent several hours looking on the net, too. I didn't buy the cam from Crane, I bought it from a GM parts supplier years ago, but I was just curious since Crane made the GM cams. I can't seem to find anything on the Crane Blueprint series cams either.

I just left my friend who has his own speed/machine shop and has been racing and selling equipment for many many years. He told me as well that usually it is tough to determine between the 2 grinds.

I believe we figured it out though. The solid has fatter/curved sides and a much broader/wider lobe top where the hydraulic has more of a pointed lobe top and flatter or thinner sides. Know what I mean?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 10:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: Crane Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
... One has 882 CR ...

Help!!
Are you sure it's "882" - and not '288'

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Hey john. Looked at it again. 882CR is what it looks like to me. Are those numbers gang stamped or 1 at a time?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Does one or both of the cams have CWC marked on it?
I think a few cranes had CWC cast into them...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I'm not really sure how Crane went about stamping their cams.
I do know the #288 as a solid design higher compression unit I've used several times - years ago ...

I would imagine your above discription of the cam profiles you have to be about the same way I discribed them in the other post - so you would be correct in our identification of the solid by the slightly more robust width and the hydraulic by the more 'pointy' lobe peak.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Crane Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Does one or both of the cams have CWC marked on it?
I think a few cranes had CWC cast into them...
Yes, they did have a rotation marking - CWC or CCC

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Yes, they did have a rotation marking - CWC or CCC
I believe I read JohnZ saying "CWC" (initials) is the name of the company that made the blanks.

And yes, both of my cams have "CWC" cast in them. If my memory serves me, the hydraulic cam I have was made for Comp Cams by somebody else. The numbers on it are L 920 P with 2 small white dots and blue and orange paint spots on the shaft.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 12:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: Crane Cams

I was always told by Crane it meant Clock-wise or Counter-clockwise rotation.
And that's how I installed them in twin Counter-Rotating Marine engine set-ups - same grind, just spun the opposite ways ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Here is some info from one of JohnZ's posts:

You'll find "CWC" or "OMO" on many Chevy factory cams - that's the source ID for the foundry that cast the cores. Chevy also used dedicated individual castings for each of their cams, to minimize the machining/grinding required for the final lobe profile, and the "-140" cam was casting #3927141 - the "7141" will appear raised on the rough core portion of the cam. If you don't see a raised "7141" on it, I'd question its originality.

Also found CWC is Campbell, Wyatt and Cannon Foundry...according to PDQ67.

I know I saw what CWC means somewhere posted by I thought JohnZ, but I have found myself wrong on occasion.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Looked at the cam again and there is 0288 cast into the shaft just behind the front bearing race(?) as well.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Could you put them in a block and dial indicate the lobe lift, and degree wheel the duration?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Could you put them in a block and dial indicate the lobe lift, and degree wheel the duration?

Can that be done in a bare block? I don't have the equipment anyway.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
Can that be done in a bare block? I don't have the equipment anyway.
Sure, as long as it has the cam bearings installed. The lack of a dial indicator and a degree wheel is an obstacle, however, but neither is terribly expensive.

Edit - Brain cramp. The lobe lift would be easy. Would be kinda hard to attach the degree wheel to the cam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode