secondary power valve - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

secondary power valve

I am trying to figure out which secondary power valve I need. The only information I can find is for the primary power valve, I think. Looking up the factory specs it says that I should have a 6.5 primary and an 8.5 secondary. This carb is a stock 4053 on my 69 302. Just trying to get it dialed in for the elevation here, about 5,500 ft.. Idle vac. is 7", don't know the cruise vac. at this time. I have 68 primary and 72 secondary jets in it right now. Seems to run a little rich but with 66 primary jets it stumbles a little upon acceleration at any speed. So I think I have the correct primary jets installed. I am open to all advice on jetting, power valve etc. for this altitude.
Greg

69 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: secondary power valve

Hey Greg, Check out this site and see if it helps. http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/110/28/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

6.5 primary and 8.5 secondary is the factory calibration.

Try 67 jets on the primary side along with an 8.5 power valve instead of the 6.5 and see if that helps.

The secondary power valve is irrelevant until the secondaries open.

Eric

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Try adjusting both accelerator pumps first by backing out the nut above the spring just a little at a time. You might have a little slop in that linkage causing the pump squirter not to "hit" as quick as it should.

Gary
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 10:36 AM
Tech Team
WrenchingAce

Basic rule of thumb is to reduce jet sizes one size for every 2000 ft elevation so I would reduce your jets by 3 sizes.
On the Primary PV, whatever your vacuum reading is then divide that in half...you said you had 7" so then I would install a 3.5 PV.
On the secondary side I would plug the PV and then increase the jet size by 7-10 sizes to compensate.
I think the factory jet sizes on your carb were 68 pri and 76 sec. so after reducing according to altitude I come up with 65 & 73. If you remove the secondary PV and plug the hole then you would want to increase the sec. jets to somewhere between 80-83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode