Vortec intake Gasket fitment - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Vortec intake Gasket fitment

I have a 350 that has not been decked nor have the heads been milled. The problem that I am having is that this engine rebuild is a hodge podge of parts (ie 82 block.....96 vortec heads..... Edelbrock rpm air gap intake) There seem to be only two gaskets recommended for this set up and they are the fel-pro MS98000T and the GM #89017465. Both of which I can get but Neither one of them matches the port design of the intake or the heads. The gaskets have a rectangular shape where the intake and heads have the " same " shape but tappered @ the top. Is this normal for this set up ? Should I go ahead and drop 55 bucks on a gasket set that doesnt match?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Vortec intake Gasket fitment

Yeah, that's normal. They look like they won't seal but they will.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

I used Felpro set on mine...no leaks 2 years Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Did you guys use any "extra" sealant? What about the bolts, I've heard that you HAVE to use GM bolts b/c the bottom out and prevent over tightening?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Don

No extra sealant at all, and I always use the GM bolts.

They are rounded on the bottom, but they don't really bottom out when torqued to spec. This can be checked by using machinist's dye or paint on the bottoms.

Torque and sequence are critical and I go over them several times.

I've also seen regular 5/16 bolts used with no problems.

I copied this from Wiki:

The Torque order is the center bolts in an "X" pattern followed by the outers in a line pattern. Following the cylinder numbers of 1 - 8 (1, 3, 5, 7 on drivers side, and 2, 4, 6, 8 on passenger) you would tighten them down 3, 6, 4, 5 for the "X" pattern, then 7, 8, 2, and finish on 1.
You tighten them down in steps
1st round goes to 26 in lbs.
2nd round to 106 or 116 in lbs.
Then last round is 11 ft lbs

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!

Last edited by ZZ_430; Mar 7th, 10 at 06:53 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

I really appreciate all the help. I picked up the gasket yesterday and will pick up the bolts from a GM dealer ( i guess ) when I get back in town on Friday. Hopefully this weekend I can get the intake put on between Baseball games!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 10, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Just to add to the excellent info posted by Don -

I use hardware store stainless bolts with washer heads. They polish up real pretty-like. I realize that hardware store stainless isn't the toughest stuff out there, but I feel confident they can hold @ 11 lbs/ft!! Several years now and no problems.

I use RTV black for the front and rear seals, and run it up about 1/4" onto the intake gasket tabs in the corners. Nothing else.

One really nice feature of the Vortec is that setting the intake on accurately is very simple due to the vertical bolts. If you have some extra carb studs laying around, they make excellent guide pins. Just thread them in finger tight (the coarse end), one in each corner, and drop the intake straight down on them. Remove one at a time and replace with the regular bolt. It's almost foolproof.

Another nice thing about those gaskets. (I use the GM) They are re-useable. I've had my intake off four or five times for various projects and have used the same gaskets, again, without problems. They might seem expensive now......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode