Cam with stall speed question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Logan

Cam with stall speed question

I have a Lunati cam with 290/297 duratation and .490 lift. I am running a boss hog 2200-2800 stall converter. My question is, my card that came with my cam, and the cam listed in jegs is advertised as haveing an rpm range of 1500-6000, so am i looseing power by haveing teh 2200-2800 stall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 06:32 PM
Tech Team
WrenchingAce

Re: Cam with stall speed question

By running a looser converter you will be able to launch the car in a higher RPM range therefore making better use of your performance cam. A stock torque converter will usually stall somewhere around 1000-1200 RPM whereas your converter will stall somewhere between 2200-2800 so you will be right in the power band where you belong.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

For the most part even a stock engine will respond favorably to a convertor up to about 3000 stall.Aside from some extra heat in the trans and loss of gas mileage there is really no downside to a 2500 stall convertor.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

There are 2 stock converters one low around the 1200 and another around 1800
If you want to lauch off with a lot of power you have one up more in the power range
the low ones are for daily drivers around town...that way the torque converter is not always slipping when you accelerate fro 30 mph to 35 mph.
I have a 2500 and a 308 diff for the occasional social day down the strip and a 1200 and 255 diff for daily driving
Even so the rear still lets go with the 1200 and the 255 diff nps..

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode