Summit Header opinion - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

Summit Header opinion

My wife bought me the summit headers for my 67 ( at my request ). I read a number of posts here that said they were good and fit perfect, the price was right so it seemed like a good decision. I got them last night only to find the flange appears to be warped already, seems like a very poor quality design with low budge welds etc.... the flanges look like they could use a little more meat between the ports... can anyone comment on the performance of these headers? I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to bolt them up only to find they will leak immediately.. can anyone confirm they work well without leaking etc??? your experiences and engine setup info would be helpful,, I plan on 400hp maybe a little more but certainly not over 450hp....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Summit Header opinion

Gary

I've bought a couple sets of Summit headers and found them to be of good quality. Thick flanges, quality welds, no bends or dings etc. This was several years ago though. They may have a new supplier now.

If you're unhappy with them give Summit a call.

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I did similar research not too long ago when I was header shopping. I read decent things about Summit headers as well. If I remember correctly the headers were/are (?) made by DynoMax. Ultimately I decided on Hookers Comps with Hot-Jet Extreme Sterling coating. Between the real cheep Summit ($100) and caddy Lemons ($1200) I decided on the middle of the road. I got the headers and they look good from an overall quality/workmanship point of view but I haven't put them on yet to see how they fit.

Matt

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have a set of the ceramic coated Summit headers on my small block. Bought them about 2-3 years ago. I have not had any leaks since I installed them and the finish looks exactly like it did the day I put them on. Fantastic purchase for the price. Was about 1/2 of what it was going to cost me to send my Hookers to JetHot, though I'm sure the JetHot coating is prettier.

Summit has the best customer service I have ever seen (outside of Costco). Return them if you are not satisfied.

1969 Camaro
Electric Blue Lacquer Paint
355/400 HP, M-21 4-Speed, 8.5 10-Bolt 4:11 Posi
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

thanks foe all the info, making my decision pretty easy, anyone else has a comment I would still like to hear your thoughts, I am leaning toward installing these on Saturday
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

If you haven't mounted them or ran the motor with them on and aren't happy, I'm sure summit will take them back without any questions asked, they are a very good company to deal with. I've had to send a bracket back twice, no questions asked.
If your on a budget, I run a set of ceramic coated hedman headers for sbc, they have thick flanges and thick tubes and have no ticks or leaks. They were under $300.00 shipped to my door and still look good after 5yrs of running, and multiple set ups, and being pulled from the car at least 3 times.
Don't know if they will fit your application, I have straight plugs, no a/c or power steering: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68278/
they fit pretty tight under the floor boards and I've only drug them on huge speed bumps when the car had iron heads, with aluminum heads I've yet to have them drag on anything.
Here is one of the pics I have of a side view, believe it or not the headers in the pic had been ran for 2yrs and they still look brand new, this was before the heads and other mods done to the motor:

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

thanks for the advice, unfortunately, I do have AC and PS so that is one of the reasons I went with the Summit ones, many posts about a nice fit with those options... thanks again
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I've also used the ceramic coated Summit headers with no problems. They fit better than some of the more expensive ones.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dario

I have a set on my 67 that I bought about a year and a half ago. I like them. They still look good but I haven't run the car very much. The flanges looked a little flimsy to me too with welds that looked poor quality but they don't leak and they hold up nice. I also origianlly thought that the coating was a little dull, but after a few runs it got shinier and thanks to the advice of some of the guys on this site I learned to clean them with steel wool. The steel wool seems to polish them and they look friggin beautiful now. There is only one complaint I have... the tubes bend right over where the spark plugs go on some of the cylinders. You have to be a contortionist to change your plugs and you'll have to do some of them with a stubby box end wrench or an offset open ended wrench because a socket wont fit. Also because of this the plug wires are colse to the header tubes, so don't get plug wires with big plug boots or they will burn on you...it happened to me and I had to replace a cable. So my only advice is don't run Taylor wires with these headers. Use stock sized boots. But for the money, they are better than they cost and do everything they are supposed to do perfectly.

67 RS Camaro
Originally: Stock 327/210 w/AC, 2 Speed Powerglide & Deluxe Interior
Now: Hotchkis SB TVS, Cross-Drilled/Slotted Disc Brake Conversion, 327/330, Headers w/ Pypes Dual Street Pros & more to come.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I bought the ceramics when they were on sale for around $170 and they were a great buy. No leaks and the fit my ps car great. The number six plug wire is a bit close but shorty plugs and MSD low profile 90 degree boots gives some clearance. The flanges are thinner than some of the top tier brands but the same as many others. If you tighten them enough to bend them then you probably have them too tight anyway. Yeah, I did (iron heads) but they don't leak. Just put them on, run them for fifty miles or so, then let it cool and retorque. The flange head bolts with serrated underside and 3/8" head work great.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

thanks to all, I will keep checking for new opinions, planning to put them on now, they are looking a lot better today than last night, thanks again
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 07:39 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RS style View Post
thanks to all, I will keep checking for new opinions, planning to put them on now, they are looking a lot better today than last night, thanks again
Hey 67rs style did you put them headers on yet? I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a set. How do they look and fit?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 01:10 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I put a set of the Ceramic coated headers from Summit on my '69 1-1/2 years ago. No problems, although I borrow my buddies special SLP socket to change a few of the plugs. It's basically a cut off spark plug socket with the square hole drilled out to clear the plug,it slides down low so you can get a wrench on the flats of the socket.

Some videos I'v made for youtube

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHH View Post
I put a set of the Ceramic coated headers from Summit on my '69 1-1/2 years ago. No problems, although I borrow my buddies special SLP socket to change a few of the plugs. It's basically a cut off spark plug socket with the square hole drilled out to clear the plug,it slides down low so you can get a wrench on the flats of the socket.
You make a good point. I use a 5/8" wrench on four of the plugs. Some people may be turned off by the spark plug access....although those type people usually get their oil changed at Jiffy Lube and pay to have their tires rotated.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to 70chevyz28 Send a message via MSN to 70chevyz28

i have a set on my 71....fit really good for the price.....seem to be doing good so far...slight little rust on them but around here the humidity and sudden temp changes dont help.....got ceramic

1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS- 357 SB,built TH350,moser axles,eaton,richmond gears...PTFB/Detriot Speed suspension..etc
1966 Chevrolet C-10-95% orignal,292 I6..big torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode