help with big block heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
floyd

help with big block heads

hi,new guy here. i'm putting togther a 402 for my 71 camaro.it has the factory dome pistons in it. i have acquired two pairs of heads. first pair is casting#3964290 closed chamber 100cc wich i think will put my compression at about 10.25. and the other set is casting 350349 122cc open chamber wich would put compression at about 8.3 . for a daily driver with near stock cam, to run on a normal grade of gas i would think the 4290s would be too high a compression. but would the 0349s be too low ? any ideas ?

71 camaro 402,4speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: help with big block heads

I think you've transposed the open chamber head numbers
And I believe the measured volume is closer to 112~114cc - which may help your decision ...

you can use a clever cam choice to tailor the DCR to you use needs

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
floyd

Re: help with big block heads

i wonder if there would be any piston to valve clearance issues useing the open chamber head ?

71 camaro 402,4speed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Only measurements will tell

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

The 402 normally used Open Chamber Heads and corresponding Open Chamber Pistons. You can use Closed Chamber heads on Open Chamber Pistons BUT you must ensure there is no Clearance Issues, some work some Interfere and you MUST Mock the System using Plumber Putty. It only takes a little messaging to the Domes to make them FIT.

10.25 Static Compression is IDEAL for a Pump Gas BBC. Choose a Cam to give you a 8.2 DCR. Recommend the Comp Cams XM278H-12.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 03:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Hey Floyd. Welcome? Do you need help with DCR?
But don't listen to Ron.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
floyd

i'll get some putty and check it.

71 camaro 402,4speed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
floyd

i never heard of dcr till now. i only knew about the static compression ratio. the cam i'm looking at getting is the lunati voodo 60211. think that would go better with the closed chamber heads?

71 camaro 402,4speed
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I've seen open chamber heads all the way to 130cc's, never had any come in under 119. The 290's are semi-closed chamber, should be around 106 or so. True closed chambers are 702's, they're around 100cc's. I've measured a bunch, these aren't just figures I've pulled out of the air.
Being on the coast, the dynamic compression calculator applies to you. It doesn't work well for folks at elevation since it doesn't take it into account.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Along with the Putty Check, bolt the head to the Block and Scribe the Bore Diameter onto the Cylinder head then Grind to that dimension - You will find that you have to Radius the Combustion Chamber around the Exhaust Valve for better Flow as it is tight there.

I Scribe all my Heads to Bore, BBC or SBC.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Ron! Where were you with that tip when my rotating assembly was out?????

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode