MSD ignition issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

MSD ignition issue

Trying to get my ZZ430 clone to start. Sorry for the long post, but here goes:
Got the engine running yesterday for about 10 minutes, with the goal of setting the initial timing. Had the vac advance hose disconnected/plugged with the timing light hooked up. First of all, engine not running well - missing a hole - not its usual self (hasn't run for a long while for more than a few minutes. Subsequently, won't even start. Has a MSD 6AL box with a blaster coil and pro billet distributor. Box is mounted beneath the glovebox. Following the MSD trouble shooting procedure,we get spark from the coil wire, but when we ground a plug connected to the distributor end of the coil plug, spark only occurs a couple times at the beginning of cranking the starter then no spark then maybe once when you let off the starter.
MSD tech guy suggested rerouting the wires from the box to the dist (they were routed with the coil wires trough the firewall). Did that, still the same. Different distributor, still the same. Coil? Running out of ideas, anyone have this same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 11:31 PM
Michael

Re: MSD ignition issue

are u using inline resistor or does car have a resister wire.had same problem on 67 327 with a unilight distributor.i had to heat up spark plugs on stove top to start it.i pulled the inline resistor off and she came to life!!! hope this helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You are supplying the small red wire on the box with a 12V ignition source directly from the IGN spade on the fuse block inside the car, not the original cloth covered wire under the hood, right?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Well, sort of...I'm in the midst of wiring the car with a classic update AAW kit. The power (to both the heavy and light red wires) is coming from the the accessory connector plug.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

I'm unaware of any resistor.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1b3h0 View Post
Well, sort of...I'm in the midst of wiring the car with a classic update AAW kit. The power (to both the heavy and light red wires) is coming from the the accessory connector plug.
I'm not familiar with the accessory connector plug, but the heavy red wire needs to go straight to the battery positive terminal and the small red wire needs to be on the IGN circuit. It is the only circuit that is hot when turned to "Start" so it fires just the starter and ignition. Also if that accessory connector plug is like any other ACC source, it is turning off when the key is in START position.

If you have the red line on anything other than the IGN circuit, what is happening is the box is turning on when you turn the key to ON and then it is turning off again when you twist they key all the way to START.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Check your connections.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

By the way, I believe the AAW kit is set up for either points or HEI igntion. Use the HEI "BATT" connection for the small red wire and run the large red wire directly to the battery.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

bad coil
my suggestion is buy a cheap one at advance auto and try it.
then replace coil with a god one.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If its a small base distributor check the cap. I've had similar problems and usually either the cap is corroded from ionization or the rotor butoon is worn out. It happens really quickly. usually with short run cycles. been stranded at a car show or convenience store more than once by this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post the remedy (as soon as I learn what it is).
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Mr. Steiner put me on the right track: I took the small red wire from the MSD box directly to the positive battery side post...the car fired right up! Of course, it wouldn't turn off with the key - had to disconnect the red wire from the batt for that. Thanks, again.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1b3h0 View Post
Mr. Steiner put me on the right track: I took the small red wire from the MSD box directly to the positive battery side post...the car fired right up! Of course, it wouldn't turn off with the key - had to disconnect the red wire from the batt for that. Thanks, again.

You want the large red wire connected to the battery.

The small red wire will connect to the AAW "HEI BATT" supply wire.

The large red wire is the main supply for the box. The small red wire is basically the ON/OFF switch. When connected to the HEI line or IGN spade on the fuse block, it will turn the box ON with the key in START and RUN and OFF with the key turned off.

Having the small red line connected to the battery meant you were giving it an ON signal constantly so once you turned to motor and triggered the box there was no way to turn it off short of pulling it.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Sorry, the MSD tech, when hearing the symptoms, suspected the real problem was an intermittent connection on that small red wire - he suggested, to confirm that was the issue, to connect it directly to the battery, and voila!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode