Spark plug socket - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
andrew

Spark plug socket

Hey guys, another question. I'm having some problems changing my spark plugs (1968 350ss). This is a new car to me and the first time I've changed the plugs on it. The engine has an old set of hooker competition headers, and I've been able to remove all of the plugs pretty easily except for one. I'd really not remove or loosen the headers as it seems like they are sealed pretty well, and it also looks like I would run into some clearance problems even trying to remove the headers with the engine in the car.
My question is have you all ever used these "header sockets"? I found a website selling these. It looks like it may work. Anyone used these, or have any other suggestions? I included the link to the website.
Thanks.
http://www.autotoolworld.com/HeaderS...s_p_47794.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: spark plug socket

Was wanting to try those out myself but they are a little pricey. I've found that what has worked well enough for me is using a basic plug socket and then a 12pt. wrench to turn it vs. the wratchet. This method has really helped with the couple of difficult plugs.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Instead of using a ratchet, use the spark plug socket and then use a 3/4" wrench on the end of the socket. Been doing this for years and have never had to buy special header sockets.

Ken

1969 Camaro

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

What Bill said! lol

1969 Camaro
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: spark plug socket

A couple of the plugs are easier to remove from under the car, with an open-end wrench.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: spark plug socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG69 View Post
What Bill said! lol
X2

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Instead of using a ratchet, use the spark plug socket and then use a 3/4" wrench on the end of the socket.
X2 - NEVER use a Ratchet ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
andrew

I would have tried that, but there is not enough room to get the socket over the plug. I only need maybe a half inch more of clearance to get my regular socket over the plug, which is why I thought the shorter socket may work.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: spark plug socket

Snap-On and others sell a 'short' spark plug socket ( same idea as the specialty units pictured) for just these issues.
I use mine quite often in Marine applications where the 'wet-manifolds' are very close and restrict plug access.

Working from underneath is often the only access to some applications ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Ok, then use a bent box end wrench to get it over the plug. Or slightly curved box wrench, whatever the term. Have a nice weekend and good luck!

Ken

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
andrew

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give the box end a try.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Spark plug socket

Ya know, I solved that problem by getting rid of the Comps. Hate 'em. Too many years changing plugs the right way. Jacking up the car doesn't set well with me.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG69 View Post
Instead of using a ratchet, use the spark plug socket and then use a 3/4" wrench on the end of the socket. Been doing this for years and have never had to buy special header sockets.

Ken
this is what i do, but i really think it depends on what headers you have, sometimes i cant even get the socket on and have to use a wrench or contort my arm around to get it on the plug and have no room to fit the wrench on
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

I have a 68 Camaro with Hooker Super Comps. All plugs can be changed from the top using a plug socket or open end 13/16 wrench.

You should be able to change the passenger side bank with the plug socket easily. On the drivers side bank only the #3 plug requires the socket side of the open end wrench to loosen up.

Otherwise 1, 5 & 7 plugs can all be reached with the socket and wrench combo. My plug socket came from Sears (craftsman) and has a 13/16 end on that works perfect.

I can change out my plugs in 10 minutes and that is also gaping them in the process. Never had to get under the car to touch any plugs! Now these are super comps and not comps, but they should be close enough. Patients helps too!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidester View Post
Hey guys, another question. I'm having some problems changing my spark plugs (1968 350ss). This is a new car to me and the first time I've changed the plugs on it. The engine has an old set of hooker competition headers, and I've been able to remove all of the plugs pretty easily except for one. I'd really not remove or loosen the headers as it seems like they are sealed pretty well, and it also looks like I would run into some clearance problems even trying to remove the headers with the engine in the car.
My question is have you all ever used these "header sockets"? I found a website selling these. It looks like it may work. Anyone used these, or have any other suggestions? I included the link to the website.
Thanks.
http://www.autotoolworld.com/HeaderS...s_p_47794.html
I use them they work great, never found anything easier

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode