PLEASE HELP Engine Casting Numbers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
John

PLEASE HELP Engine Casting Numbers

HI, I just picked up a 72 RS, I haven't had time to get behind the block to look for casting numbers, but on the right front bank casting numbers are stamped in large letter. I can't determine what they are. I searched a few sites and the suffix is not close. Here is the following:

V11250NU in large letters
10(8 or a 3) 170803 in small letters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 03:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: PLEASE HELP Engine Casting Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayers1 View Post
... V11250NU in large letters
10(8 or a 3) 170803 in small letters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you John
Might want to check that
I think you'll find 'ONU'

1970 Impala 350 w/PG RPO-L65

The other number ('Partial VIN) is most likely 10B170803
For a Baltimore assembled 1970 Impala

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
John

Re: PLEASE HELP Engine Casting Numbers

Thank you, Do you know what the HP would be and if it came with a 2 or 4 barrel. I appreciate your effort it's been a big help. John

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

A 70 full-size L65 was rated at 250 HP, 2 bbl carb.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
John

Thank you for the reply, but I am a little confussed. Member Vintage 68 gave the following info "1970 Impala 350 w/PG RPO-L65". Where did he get that info from. I would like to know the compression and cam specs as well. If it came with 2 barrel, then what would an alum intake and 4 barrel boost it up to. This motor came with a 72 RS, I was thinking of replacing it, now 2nd thoughts. Thank you for the valuable info. John
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 11:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: PLEASE HELP Engine Casting Numbers

My information comes from several sources I've accumulated over the years
I have a hand typed spread sheet I did in the 70's from some GM sources I had access to, a copy of several lists I've been given over the years by fellow 'numbers-guys', a copy of the 1974 Parts Master Cat from GM with all the decode pages in the front, 10~15 different published reference sources from various authors ... you get the idea
I never use one source to quote a given decode, I refer to several and cross-reference the information to see if it makes any sense compared to the unit I'm trying to decode.
Some sources are just dead-wrong, and then they get 're-quoted' by several other sources until they become "fact" Specially see alot of that in the last 10 years or so with the proliferation of data sites on the net. ...

As far as 'installing a 4-barrel and what would it boost power output to' - that's really hard to answer.
Is the engine just the way it left te factory, or did someone rebuild it before installing in you vehicle? It would be a 'normal' procedure to freshen up a used engine during a transplant - even if the owner just went to the nearest "Jiffy Engine" place and bought a replacement assembly.
If so, chances are they used fairly ctock parts and the present output is somewhere near the original factory rating - maybe ...
If you would like to start some improvements in performance I would suggest you start with the exhaust system. A mild set of headers and some reasonably free flowing pipes should net you some noticable 'seat-of-the-pants' improvement and get you should be set for more HP upstream.
Then I'd check the cam and install a mild 268~272 range cam and a dual-plane aftermarket intake manifold to match your selected 4-barrel carb.
All the above should serve to wake-up your present engine for a reasonable price. A HP output estimate would probably be in the @275~<300 range - depending on choices.
From there, the sky is the limit
You'll need to seriuosly consider where you want to go next - if you wanted more HP after that, you'd need to consider the bottom-end and heads in the equation - and things start getting expensive quickly at that point

Hope this helps some, and others chime in;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
John

Thank you for the detailed information. I really appreciate it. Here is a picture of the smaller numbers. It looks like a J instead of a B. Also, you are correct in that the suffix letter is a C not a O. Can you give me your opinion on what you think the smaller number mean. I thank you for your time. John
I don't think the picture carried over. I'm a little lost in this department. Can you send your email and I can send it to you that way?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Sorry to barge in.

Well if it is 10J170803 - the J means Janesville, WI - the vehicle assembly plant. They built Impalas there.
1 = Chevrolet
0 = 1970
J = Janesville, WI
170803 is the unit production number.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
John

Thank you BCM66. I appreciate the barge in. I can use as many brains as possible. This site is GREAT. I never experienced so many helpful people. Thank you again! John
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
John

Here's a picture I hope it uploads[/IMG]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
John

Let me know if this works
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 09:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Yes, it worked. And that is a pretty good picture too.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode