1989 Camaro sitting in garage for 7 years - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

1989 Camaro sitting in garage for 7 years

Someone hit me in this car (1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible) in 2001 and messed up the front but I still was able to drive home just fine and happily it was only metal damage. I started it for the first 2 years for 15mins at a time but the battery died and real life got in the way and it sat for the next 7 years buried under boxes in an attached garage.

I have read people's post on 20+ year cars and 2year cars, I want to get this road ready again, but I am an extreme amateur on cars (if it was a computer I wouldn't be asking for help) and as most I am somewhat limited on funds (maybe spending $200/mo on restoration). What do I "have" to do to get this up and running again?

I know I need to empty the gas, unfortunately it is a full 18 gallon tank according to gauge. (sigh) I was told I could try to find the plug but its a convertible with tank between the seats and the top. I don't have the know how or tools to drop the tank and even if I find the plug what do I do with 20 gals of crap gas?

What else besides oil and coolant "has" to be replaced to ensure I don't damage something?

Thanks for your help guys.

Beginner rebuilder
Devan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Re: 1989 Camaro sitting in garage for 7 years

IMO the gas will be fine, gas has a long shelf life when it is stored properly (like in a garage) when there is no extreme temperature changes.

many people will probably not like my answer, but i would run the car until it warms up completely, then let it cool and change the oil.

I would check the coolant and see how it looks, if it is nice and bright green i think you would be fine.

I have been in the same situation, i had a car that sat for around 7 years that i started driving, and there was no ill effects.

I have also ran a car with 11 year old gas in it, and it ran perfectly fine.

here is my check list:

1. check coolant
2. add a fuel additive that helps with water in the fuel
3. check all of the hoses/belts to make sure they are not dry rotted
4. check the tires to make sure there is no bubbles or flat spots, or dry rot

if you are worried about the gas, i would go and get a pump to drain it, they arent that expensive and you can stick it in the filler into the tank and pump the gas out and store it for your lawnmower or something, or you could pour a small bit into your tank at a time and mix it with new gas
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

A full tank is to your avantage in this case.Being a sealed fuel system,and being full means the fuel was ever exposed to air.It may be useable as it sits.Add a new battery,check th fluids,and start it up.If the engine got rust in it from sitting,it may smoke,but there isnt much you can do about that.If the smoking doesnt stop,then maybe the rings are gummed up which required that you pour solvent ito the spark plug holes and let he engine sit overnight.Another issue might be varnish in the trasmission vave body.If it goes ino gear and shifts then I wold say it is fine.

Put a battery in it,check the fluids and start it.Good luck.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I bought a new battery, checked fluids. Everything looked very good actually. I tried to turn it over and I heard tons of starter clicking and saw the belt slowly turning. I would assume the alternator made 1-1.5 turns and then everything stopped. The car is acting the same electrically-wise but no start clicking or anything. I unhooked battery a bit and tried again, nothing. I checked all the fuses in the car and they are fine. All lights come on fine.

So, any ideas? I would think if the engine was locked up I would still hear the starter but I am a newbie.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Is the battery charged?Put a charger/jump on the battery.Pull the spark plugs and diconnect the coil and see if the engne cranks.If there is a lot of rust in the cylinders you might want to go to the parts store and get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil an squirt it in the cylinders and let it sit overight and try turning it agan.Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Well I tried it with the new battery and my 2007 V8 SUV boosting and it wouldnt even click. but all the power works, windows, stereo, lights etc. I will pull the spark plugs. They were only about 2 years old when it was parked but I might just go ahead and replace them and the wires while I am at it. I bought some seafoam and marvel mystery today already. Glad I did I suppose. Along with new radiator fluid and a flush kit.

Should I go ahead and do an oil change and radiator flush while I am pulling plugs or just get it to start first?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

Is it possible that the front end damage includes some wire harness damage? Possible direct short going on. Since you went with a new battery check to see if it discharges from a full charge. The slow turning/clicking sounds more like an electrical issue based on the facts stated so far and not an internal engine issue.......The new plugs and other things sound great but I think you have either a damaged harness or a ground issue.....

Get a service manual for you car showing wiring diagrams and check all ground areas in the starter circut.....could just be a loose connection or corrosion......

Just a thought......

good luck

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you're gonna pull the plugs, take some the Marvel MO and add some to the cylinders to let the rings slide easier and let the starter spin over easier when the battery is fully charged.

I would leave the Seafoam in the can on the shelf. Just change oil and filter.
Getting a Haynes manual is better than nothing.
A check battery check is turn on headlights and then start the engine. If lights dim or go out, battery is dead.
Be sure to clean battery cables and battery posts.
Flexible spout oil pump cans are good for this job.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, When I turned the ignition the first few times I got lots of clicking and I could see the belt moving slowly, but now it's like nothing. The lights don't dim the battery voltage doesn't change, nothing. Even when boosting.

It's possible there is a harness issue but when parked this car started just fine. The only thing I have done since it was parked was take off the bumper clip (including head and fog lights) and fenders. The alarm system is what drained the battery. After about 6 months it was dead. I have a manual for the car with the diagram and can try to follow that.

I will be getting underneath it tomorrow and see if the starter is even getting juice to it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Devan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

All of the above
Brakes..these need to be bleed replacing all the fLiud, and even then treat you brakes with extreme caution....it is common for MC and slave cyliner piston rubbers to crap out and for bores to be corroded.

Once fired up a flowed a bit of fuel thru, replace all the fuel filters

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

While you're at the starter, disconnect the battery and remove the battery cable and fusible links on the solenoid stud and wire brush them.

Then if you can, hook up a test to the purple wire on the solenoid to view from the drvr seat. If it shines in START, then power is getting to the solenoid, but solenoid not kicking in.

To me, the starter is working because belt is turning. You could hook up a remote starter switch and see if the starter turns over better. Solenoid has two copper bolts and a copper disc. When power is applied to the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field, pulls in the slug engaging the starter pinion and connecting the copper switch to apply power to the motor. If copper pieces are corroded/pitted, less current/power flows to motor. If battery voltage drops, less power is generated.

Also, look in the manual and see the starter relay to power the solenoid.
Aftermarket alarm or VATS?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 11:46 AM
Tech Team
jeff

Hook your battery back up. Turn on the headlights. Do they work OK? Leave them on and try to start it. they will do 1 of 2 things. Dim, or go out.
Did they go out?
Clean your battery cables at the battery connection. That is the number 1 most common "no crank" issue. 7 years is a long time to allow corrosion to happen to the cable ends.
This is cheap to try and cheap to repair if it's the cause so that makes it the perfect spot to start.
Good luck.
Jeff.

I like the "kiss" method
"Keep It Simple, Stupid!"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

clean the battery terminals, i have a car in the garage that does this, the lights will work fine, but once i hit the key for the engine it will click a few times and cut out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode