new cam and bearings really tight fitting - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

new cam and bearings really tight fitting

So I'm in the middel of rebuilding a 350. This is my first complete rebuild from from machine shop and up. and I've changed cams before but not with new cam bearings. So I installed the new cam today and noticed its VERY tight. is this normal? I thought it should spin easy. Is this beacause of the new bearings? Thanks

1967 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 07:22 PM
Bill

Re: new cam and bearings really tight fitting

Tino,
It is not normal, but it is normal for the bearings to need "fitting" to the cam. Your machine shop should have done this with a "test" cam when they installed the bearings. Take the block back to them and ask them to fit the bearings. Sometimes this can become a very time consuming job so they will probably charge you accordingly. It is not a job I recommend trying at home.

The cam should spin very easily by hand.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply Bill,
That sucks! after paying this guy over $1000 for all the machine work and parts and getting this far I have to pull the pistons and crank out again? Not what I want to do. I think next time I'm just going to buy a crate engine. I know its not that hard and I'm not that far along, but the down time and all the small thing are starting to get to me. Just venting. Thanks for the help.

1967 coupe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 07:57 AM
Banned

We see about 1 out of 40 SBC blocks that have alignment issues with cam bearings and thats why GM line bores the cam tunnels with bearings installed, We always check cam bearing fitment before we do any machine work.

May want to try another set just for shyts and giggles!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 05:16 PM
Bill

Tino,

That is why we have a stack of cams for almost any engine possible. If my customer already has a cam, I make sure to tell him to bring it along for me to try because they vary in size also. If there is no cam available when we install the bearings I always tell my customer that the very first thing he should install in the block is the camshaft.

That being said ..... part of being a good engine builder is having the patience to take it back apart as many times as needed to make it right. If you are not willing to do that then you should not be assembling an engine.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode