failed cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

failed cam

Hey guys me and my buddie were just having a bit of a argument and I thought mybe you guys can help. We were talking about how long it would take for cam bearings to fail if installed wrong , If there was a problem with the cam or bearings would it go wrong in the initial break in or would the engine last for a little bit of time then konk out?
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: failed cam

Usually, a dozen other components will fail before cam bearings. They're not asked to do a heck of a lot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

oh like the cam will get chewed up?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 10, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Usually, a dozen other components will fail before cam bearings. They're not asked to do a heck of a lot.
I agree with you, but cam bearings do crap out. I got too tough on one of the first ones I ever did my own bushings on(up until about 3yrs ago I just knocked em in with a solid driver but now I have a good driver), and crapped one out. First symptom is you won't like your warm oil pressure, then you'll notice you have sparkly oil. Then you pull the engine down and do it right. Mine happened fast, I doubt I even ran the thing 30 minutes. Didn't like my oil pressure so apart it came vs torturing it and expecting it to heal itself. All I had to replace was the one bushing(it was visibly worn and fubar), everything else was nice, and it ran a long time with great oil pressure.

I've seen pictures on the internet of cam bushings that have galded to the journal and spun in the bore but I've never had that on a car engine personally. Seen lots of industrial bushings do that though(not necessarily a cam bushing).

Tim Smith
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Any component, if installed incorreclty, can fail including cam bearings. But if the engine is built right, the cam bearings will out-live most everything else in the engine. Again, not a lot is asked of cam bearings, unlike crank bearings, or valve-train, or piston rings, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode