Exhaust routing on BBC 79 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust routing on BBC 79 Camaro

I've found that i dont want to deal with exhaust kits from summit and the guy at the muffler shop is a shady dude. I got long headers on a mild 454 bbc with oval port heads, 396 intake, and isky cam. I was thinking of just running straight 2.5 inch pipes all the way back with a magnaflow round preforated muffler or a summit turbo muffler. oh and when i say straight pipes i mean straight. That being said, would there be an issue running the pipes underneath the rear axle. The mufflers would be placed right before the rear axle. I dont think clearance would be an issue because my ride sits pretty high as it is. Tires are 275/65/15 on the back and 235/70/15 on the front.

So what do you guys think on this exhaust routing?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by 79_Rios_454; Mar 15th, 10 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage
Re: exhaust routing on bbc 79 camaro

Hi Jay. I don't think running the exhaust under the rear axle is going to be a good idea. Think about how low the axle hangs when you jack up one side of the car. The exhaust is going to end up hitting the axle or the ground. ...... You said you didnt want to deal with the Summit exhaust, but I've used the dual exhaust kit that Hooker makes and Summit sells with very good results. It bolts to either stock manifolds or to headers and exits under the back bumper where it should. You just need mufflers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: exhaust routing on bbc 79 camaro

I have the 2.5" summit kit on my 79 Camaro with long tube smallblock headers and it fits awsome.I used the same kit in 2 1/4" over 20 years ago,and it was great too.I also bougt a set of inexpensie ball flange type collectors that fit with regular 3 bolt flange headers.I used the kit with the Summit turbo mufflers,and the only thing I can say is that you need to cut about 2 or 3inches off the muffler end of the tail pipe to position it right.The hangers work great,I instlled it myself on the ground in my driveway with hand tolos{except the sawzall for cutting the pipes).I recommed it to anybody.

BTW,years ago I tried to make an "under the rear" dual exhaust system for my 82 Camaro{3rd gen).I worked at a muffler shop at the time and one of my co workers owned a Vette at the time and it looked like a cool idea.Even with a pipe bender and a welder,it was a mess and got tore off within 2 weeks.I dont recomnd it.Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Re: Exhaust routing on BBC 79 Camaro

i figured it might not work. I was also thinkin of putting mufflers right after the headers and then have some pipes running after the mufflers and at a 90 degree angle out exiting in front of the rear tires. My only issue with that is that this engine is LOUD. I figured the main way to quiet it some would be to have full exhaust all the way back. If i end up trying the exit at the front of the rear tiresis there any performance muffler that can quiet down the car but help with horsepower at the same time?

Thanks,
Jay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

i have dynomax super turbo mufflers from my previous car but they are 2.25". I can save alot of money if i use them. Would 2.25" be adequate enough for me?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

The further back you pu the mufflers the more effective it is.Your plan woud require a fairly restrictive muffler just to get moderate sound control even with pipes all the way out the back.With the mufflers all the way at the back you could use a less restrictive muffler and still get good sound control an less interior noise too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Rios_454 View Post
i have dynomax super turbo mufflers from my previous car but they are 2.25". I can save alot of money if i use them. Would 2.25" be adequate enough for me?
so can i use my 2.25 inch mufflers with mandrel bent pipes??

the car currently has 3 ft of pipes after the headers and they are 2.25. it was drag raced like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode