Is it necessary to buy a timing cover for vortec engines? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Is it necessary to buy a timing cover for vortec engines?

I'm building a 97 5.7 Vortec engine for a customer and the timing cover says to replace if removed. I don't think it is necessary so I just used some silicone to help seal it.

Also, I took out the balancer seal that was in it and the gasket set did not come with another one in it. I hope I don't have to buy a cover just to get the seal.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by speedfreek; Mar 17th, 10 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Is it necessary to buy a timing cover for vortec engines?

The seal in integral to the cover on a Vortec. A new cover only runs about $20. You'll find out soon enough I guess.....

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
The seal in integral to the cover on a Vortec. ..
I'm talking about the balancer seal. Not the cover seal. Sorry for not making this clear.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I'm pretty sure the covers are plastic, and sucked in the first place.
Maybe this is the reason?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I tried to reuse one once. It's not worth the cost after you figure your time involved in removing everything to replace one after it leaks.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Hi Patrick
when I did a little 305 roller a year or 2 ago, I didn't want to spend a stinkin red cent that wasn't necessary. It got rings/brgs/valve job and a cheap vortec intake and a can of pink paint.

Wasn't about to let a piece of plastic tell me how to spend my money. It's a great running engine, doesn't leak a drop and the 66 p/u loves that thing. I reused the rear seal, pan and vc gaskets, front cover with seal. Had to hand make a gasket for the rear seal hsg but that's no biggee. I put a used oil filter from some good engine's initial run on it and some old no-name oil that was in my Dad's shed when he passed. Spend my money as I see fit, my risk and my reward. I almost put used initial run oil in it until I remembered Dad's stuff. He would have liked that.

The pink was a joke due to being a 305, but it really does have eye appeal. Everybody that looks at it laughs and then after a minute says "hey that kinda looks purdy friggin good". Std reply is "Ibedam if I'll buy it any more paint cuz 250 bucks is all a 305 gets"

Tim Smith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Hi Patrick
when I did a little 305 roller a year or 2 ago, I didn't want to spend a stinkin red cent that wasn't necessary. It got rings/brgs/valve job and a cheap vortec intake and a can of pink paint.

Wasn't about to let a piece of plastic tell me how to spend my money. It's a great running engine, doesn't leak a drop and the 66 p/u loves that thing. I reused the rear seal, pan and vc gaskets, front cover with seal. Had to hand make a gasket for the rear seal hsg but that's no biggee. I put a used oil filter from some good engine's initial run on it and some old no-name oil that was in my Dad's shed when he passed. Spend my money as I see fit, my risk and my reward. I almost put used initial run oil in it until I remembered Dad's stuff. He would have liked that.

The pink was a joke due to being a 305, but it really does have eye appeal. Everybody that looks at it laughs and then after a minute says "hey that kinda looks purdy friggin good". Std reply is "Ibedam if I'll buy it any more paint cuz 250 bucks is all a 305 gets"
Thanks Tim! I'm gonna "Let it ride" like it is. I feel better now after your response.

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

mine didn't have many miles on it Patrick, just couldn't see a damthing wrong with it and I didn't change the front seal either. I think my buddies said it had 69k miles when they changed it out w/ a brand new gm 305. But it had sludge to put the castrol TV commercials to shame.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

UPDATE:

I ordered a timing cover kit from the parts store and it came with everything except the cover. I thought this is good because I didn't need the cover, just the seal, BUT the dang seal was too big! I took it back and took the old seal and they cross-referenced it to another seal but it was TOO BIG also! So I told them to just order a whole cover and I would "pop" out the seal and just use it because I already had the old cover bolted on.... So the new cover came in and guess what, they had re-designed the cover for the larger seal. Ahh!

So I re-used the old seal, which looked fine. And if it leaks I will buy a balancer repair sleeve! Trying to save a few bucks. I bet it doesnt leak. So for anyone that rebuilds a vortec engine. GET A NEW COVER. Because this is another dumb thing GM did to make us have to spend a few bucks more because you can't get a replacement seal.

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:34 AM
Senior Tech

i believe you can just put any old small block timing cover on it and call it good. but you might need to remove the welded on timing tab (if it has one) and use a $5 Mr gasket bolt on timing pointer..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
i believe you can just put any old small block timing cover on it and call it good. but you might need to remove the welded on timing tab (if it has one) and use a $5 Mr gasket bolt on timing pointer..
Correct. GM makes a plain metal cover (no pointer). If you go this route (some day) you also need to buy the 2 locating dowels. The dowels are integral to the plastic cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode