Engine vibrating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Engine vibrating

Hey guys , I just got my engine diald in . I am just wondering my engine is a GM crate 350 with a comp cam 270, a edlbrock performer intake and a 670 cfm holly street avenger carb, I used a vaccume gauge to tune the idle scews in, Now my engine at idle has a bit of a viberation, i tried turning in a half turn and out a half turn on the fuel mixture screws but nothing seems to make a difference on the viberation, the engine runs strong and has lots of response just worried about the viberation any input would be apreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: engine viberating

Did it vibrate before? Small shake or large shake?
Is the curb idle adjustment set for low idle? Allows idle circuit to come more into play.
If one mixture screw is turned in and lightly seated, any change? RPM should be affected by one screw, either one.
Are secondary plates open just a bit? Allows air to bypass, sometimes used to tune an engine with an aftermarket camshaft, and makes idle circuit useless if curb idle is not set lower.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: engine viberating

sounds like the cam has a lil bump to it, thats normal, thats a hot rod motor, your good to go!!
check and make sure all plug wires are snapped on tight on both ends
make sure you dont have a pinched vac line
check carb base gasket and intake gaskets for leaks too

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Re: Engine vibrating

ok I will check all of that sorry for all the questions , this is really my first v8 hot rod lol, at least its a chevy right. and ya its only a little sake , the curb idle screw were is that ?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Just curious - what RPM are you setting to idle at?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

the idle is around 700
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

what trans are you running and do you have a stall convertor?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

I have a turbo 250 with a shift kit and no stall
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I wonder if raised idle another 50 or so RPM if would steady out. Someone correct me if wrong but 700 may be a little on the low side for an auto tranny with your cam.

Also - are you sure you have those carb screws adjusted properly? Another technique is to adjust them where you get max vacuum reading. I turn mine while listening for max RPM (don't expect too much diff) then keep going till begins to get rough and then back out 1/2. Once at that point I would definitely notice a diff. if I cranked another 1/2 turn in. Not as noticeable on 1/2 turn out though. A little concerned may not be in the sweet spot. Timing - what did you set at?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

ok I will re adjust the idle screws and turn up the idle another 50 or so , and my timimg is around 12 BTDC
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Yeah, that cam in a 350 will have a small bit of a lump to it. (Good street cam BTW). As suggested, up the idle speed a 100 RPM,..see if she smooths out.

If not, get back to us and we'll diagnose actual engine balance problems.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

hey guys i re adjusted those idle screws and turned the idle up it smoothed out alot but as I was checking things over I noticed that my hermonic balencer has a little bend to it that could couse some viberation?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

"Bend"?...please describe.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

like on the out side rim it is notched in , in one area
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

ok guys I got her a little more dialed in it idles at 800 and now at idle and just alittle off idle has a small miss. I put new wires and plugs in, still the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode