Exhaust outlet on the side? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Exhaust outlet on the side?

Has anyone here had their exhaust exit on the side of their car, before the rear wheel? Any pics on how it looks? Ever done it on a convertible?
Tips and tricks appreciated

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Exhaust outlet on the side?

ah!! the nascar look!!
fumes will go into the car with the top down at an idle.

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Illegal in the US unless the car was equipped that way from the factory (70 AAR Cuda and T/A Challenger are the only ones that come to mind - Maybe 67 Vettes with sidepipes). Might be OK in Sweden though.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Oh yeah..that's the look Sparky..thinking of letting the air cleaner look up through a hole in the hood as well...White car, semi black air cleaner, semi black exhaust, black rims (Boze wheels)...lowered..Could look good

I am allowed to let the pipes exit on the side, but only on the left hand side, towards the street.
The only thing I'm thinking of is how to get the right hand side pipe over to the other side..Where do I cross the tunnel. And how??

67 Swedish Convertible

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

it can be done and man what a cool look that would be!!
what inch pipe are you thinking( 1.7/8, 2.0, 2.1/4 )
left hand side towards the street???..are you telling me you drive on the wrong side of the road??

BILL D.
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

you have to flatten the tip a bit like this

________
[________]

you get me ? im not a good drawer on the keyboard??

BILL D.
SEMPER FI

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thinking of either 2 pipes, each 2,5" - or an oval shaped, one opening only, that'll be just slightly bigger than an iPhone.

Well...if I drive down the street on the right hand side...The left hand side of the car will be out towards the street and on coming traffic. Sidewalk is on the right hand side..I'm not allowed to lift the skirts on the blondes walking on the sidewalk by blowing exhaus fumes on them

67 Swedish Convertible

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
you have to flatten the tip a bit like this

________
[________]

you get me ? im not a good drawer on the keyboard??

That's my thinking when I say "oval shaped"..

67 Swedish Convertible

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

i couldnt figure out where the oval shape button is on the key board!! hahaha...
two into one pipe with only one exit, kinda like on a street bike..it can be done the 2.5 inch pipe it might be tight but it can be done.. we did a 69 camaro with 2.5 inch pipe exiting behind the wheel the car was slammed on the ground ..it just takes a good pipe bender!!
i like the idea!!
also like the idea of the skirt blower too!!(dear lord i apolgize for that one)..

BILL D.
SEMPER FI

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 11:12 AM
garrett

i ran this set up on my camaro for about a year. doesnt work out well at all. it didnt work well for me because i run traction bars. so i had to make it fit before the traction bars, having to do that ment putting the mufflers about 10 to 12 inches after the headers. so it hang extremmmmmly low. i would scrape and rub on everything i drove over. driveways. speed bumps, a big enough dip in the road it was rub. and the header bolts would contently come loose and the whole system would sag even lower. it wasnt worth it for me so i took it off scrapped it and had a whole new system fabbed up.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Maybe a bit like a bike but then..not..I'll try to explain it..

If you have 2 pipes, side by side, and you flatten the tips making each one more oval shaped. You're with me?
Then, by shaping them, getting them as close together as possible. Still 2 pipes - flattened - tightly together - and then take one large diameter pipe and use as the "end of both pipes" Pretty much like having a large diameter pipe with a dividing wall in the middle..Something like this..
_________
[____I____]

Could end up12-15cm wide and 5cm high...? Do I make any sense at all..??

67 Swedish Convertible

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 12:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Illegal in the US unless the car was equipped that way from the factory (70 AAR Cuda and T/A Challenger are the only ones that come to mind - Maybe 67 Vettes with sidepipes). Might be OK in Sweden though.
only in MASS its illegal
here in connecticut Ive seen a few and it looks funny if ya ask me!
pipes are notched around the subframe connectors causing a big back pressure problem.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

GR67 & Dawg - This is exactly the comments I want!! The problems you've experienced will prevent me from doing the same thing over again.
In my mind, It would look pretty cool - but in reality..well, thats a different story.
Any of you got any pics?

I might be putting SFC's on it and that might create other problems.
What about a pipe on each side of the car? I want the "masculine", "powerful" Nascar look but want more ideas before I decide.

Thanks a lot for your input

67 Swedish Convertible

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 12:59 PM
garrett

i had a duel exhaust no H pipe or x just 2 separate pipes. i will try and dig up some pictures i had of it once im home from work. i think the idea is bitchen and if you can get it to work well then i say more power to ya. you might want to look into sprint car mufflers that have the inlet and outlet on the same side of the muffler which would make it easier to tuck farther back and get a good angle to come out at.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

On Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOOM-...Q5fAccessories

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode