Carb leaking into intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Carb leaking into intake

My 650 Quick Fuel is somehow draining both bowls over a period of a week or less. The fuel goes down into the intake and ends up in my oil. I went to change my power valve yesterday and the front bowl was empty and I couldn't see fuel through the clear sights on the rear bowl. What could cause gas to completely drain from the bowls? The outside of the intake is dry so it's all going into the intake. The power valve has a new gasket and the power valve is new.

1991 Camaro RS, 355 cid, 10.5:1 CR, Scat crank, Speed Pro flat tops, Brodix IK180's. Comp XE268, 1.6 rockers, Perf RPM Air Gap, 650DP Quick Fuel, Hedman long tubes, BTO Level 2 700R4, 3.73 w/ posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage
Re: Carb leaking into intake

I had a similiar issue with my Quick Fuel 750SS. The first winter I stored it the bowls were completely empty come spring and when I went to fill them, the gaskets must have been dried up alittle cause the gas starting to leak out and puddled up on my intake. With mine though I am thinking the gas is evaporating in the bowls during storage, so this year I just keep adding gas through the vent tubes every few weeks to keep the gaskets wet.

1969 Camaro - LeMans Blue
383ci Stroker ~ M22 4-speed ~ 12-Bolt Posi-3.73
AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Possibly the needle valve and/or seat. Had an old 1850 model that needed some work but once I had to knock the fuel bowls off with a hammer I figured it was too far gone to even bother with.

Here's a link to document that may be of some assistance:
http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com.../needleandseat

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR77 View Post
I had a similiar issue with my Quick Fuel 750SS. The first winter I stored it the bowls were completely empty come spring and when I went to fill them, the gaskets must have been dried up alittle cause the gas starting to leak out and puddled up on my intake. With mine though I am thinking the gas is evaporating in the bowls during storage, so this year I just keep adding gas through the vent tubes every few weeks to keep the gaskets wet.

It's not the bowl or metering block gaskets, it has to be something else, the fuel is draining down into the intake and consequently down into the cylinders. The outside of the intake is dry.

1991 Camaro RS, 355 cid, 10.5:1 CR, Scat crank, Speed Pro flat tops, Brodix IK180's. Comp XE268, 1.6 rockers, Perf RPM Air Gap, 650DP Quick Fuel, Hedman long tubes, BTO Level 2 700R4, 3.73 w/ posi.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

I spoke with Quick Fuel and they said it could be the gasket between the metering block and main body, however I really don't see how it could be that.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

I replaced the meteriing block gaskets and power valve & plug gaskets and it still leaks. Has anyone ever had issues with a quick fuel having a main body or metering block being warped?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Crap in air bleeds which causes the fuel to sypon into the manifold
Very often an old school side of the road 'fix' works
remove air filter, take rpms up, hand over the top till engine almost stalls the pull you hand off, 3 or 4 times.

Failing that dismantle carb and soak/clean/ blow out all galleries.

Note a light smear of oil on gaskets makes them easy to remove later, and reusable for side of the road fixes.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Crap in air bleeds which causes the fuel to sypon into the manifold
Very often an old school side of the road 'fix' works
remove air filter, take rpms up, hand over the top till engine almost stalls the pull you hand off, 3 or 4 times.

Failing that dismantle carb and soak/clean/ blow out all galleries.

Note a light smear of oil on gaskets makes them easy to remove later, and reusable for side of the road fixes.
I can let the car sit a week, turn the fuel pump on to fill the bowls and let it sit for a few days and it will drain down. The air bleeds will cause them to drain even if the engine hasn't been cranked in a couple of weeks??

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Lex

Mines has always leaked a little bit, but i never thought it could go down the manifold and into the oil. How does it end up in the oil ? Mines only leaks a tiny bit, i see it on the manifold.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Ring gaps are larger when sitting due to no heat expansion.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
The air bleeds will cause them to drain even if the engine hasn't been cranked in a couple of weeks??
Quote:
Crap in air bleeds which causes the fuel to syphon into the manifold
My sons rx7 was doing the same thing...crap in the carbs.
Except that was rather funny
He would turn the car off after a run, jump out, walk 10 yrs or so away, Then KARRBOOOM.
The fuel would explode in the exhaust ....should hear what it sounds like in an underground car park lol

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
He would turn the car off after a run, jump out, walk 10 yrs or so away, Then KARRBOOOM.
The fuel would explode in the exhaust ....should hear what it sounds like in an underground car park lol

My cousin used to do that with an old full size 390ci Ford Ranger with straight pipes around the local cruise spots. Do a drive-by turning the ignition on and off and watch all the people duck.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Quote:
Ok I'll give it a shot. Think an air compressor might work or would it mess something up?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Step,those rotaries always make popping sounds.We had a few that would show up at the street races back in the day.Old RX 3's with 13B mtors and nitrous.Yiinnnnnggggg Yiinnnnggggggg,POP! brump brump brump Yiinnnnnggggggg Yiinnnnggggg POP!

Yiinnnnngggggggggg POP Yiiinnngggggggggg POP CLANK BANG BOOM{sound of half breed Toyota 5 speed truck trans falling apart on 2-3 shift} Brump brump brump{sound of RX3 coasting to side of road).

I just had to go there
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Do a drive-by turning the ignition on and off and watch all the people duck.
Thats boy racer BS sry
Note this is when he has parked the car, turned off the engine, got out of the car and walked away lol

Quote:
sound of half breed Toyota 5 speed
We relate the sound of a rotary to a sewing machine lol
Thu I must say my sons does sound real nice, more like a V8 at high rpms with a deep rumble
Hes done the full resto all himself, from body work to porting over the last 2 1/2 yrs, no help from the old man either....hes only 23 yrs old and not in the trade...a telecomications rigger....sort of job mike rowe would do.
Hes been sensible too, carbed and hasnt over ported it, so it is still quite streetable, the turboed injected fully ported are absolute pigs to drive on the street.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in