Worth it to sleeve a 350? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Worth it to sleeve a 350?

I happened across a free 350. On tearing it down to see what I had, I found an unfired rebuild. Everything brand new or rebuilt. Cam, lifters, resized rods, 10-10 cast crank, cast dished pistons, 4 bolt block, heads re-done (882's - ugh) timing set, oil pump, cam bearings - everything. Looks to be a production shop type rebuild - nuthin' fancy, but complete. Sadly, the motor was exposed to the weather and water got into 2 of the cyls. I removed the pistons on the 2 wet ones - the water rusted the bores enough that there is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. The pistons say .060 on them - so I assume that's about it for this block. I have nothing invested so I stand to lose nothing, but something inside me says don't give up!! This is the venerable 4 bolt 350 that we all used to crave!!

Question:

Would it be worthwhile to sleeve the 2 cyls and salvage the block, and have those 2 bored/honed to re-use the brand new pistons, or should I just scrap it, sell the good parts(crank, heads, rods/pistons) and consider it done? I had a number in my head to sell the motor for $500, which I thought would be a good deal for someone who just needed a reliable replacement motor. But if it costs me $400 to get there, I ain't a gonna do it. Opinions? Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Worth it to sleeve a 350?

if it were me i would just look for another one but how common is a 350 up where you are?
they are a dime a dozen down here?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Sleeving is a last resort for those people having 1) a numbers matching engine, 2) an engine with their life savings invested into it, then the sleeving labor becomes a small percentage of the investment/expediture.

The block is bored to the max, the crank has one more turn on it, 0.020" undersized, and who knows the condition of the oil galleys - the material in the oil galleys will go through the bearings. So if the block has been sitting outside and still together, maybe, but I doubt it. Wouldn't hurt to pop out the plugs and run a brush through them to see what comes out.

Stop at the shop and ask how much for sleeving. You're gonna have to super clean it, maybe an acid bath to help remove rust. But then, I'm not an engine professional either.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Depends on how you are going to use the engine. You will just have to clean the rust out of the cylinders to see how bad it really is. It might be best to take it all apart and just see how bad the cylinders are. Once it is apart clean it up the best you can and decide from there.

If its not going to be raced, it might be fine. Based on the components it has now (cast pistons and crank) you would want to beat on it hard anyway.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

There is nothing wrong with running a properly sleeved block. I ran 10 teens with this block and it was sleeved. Can you tell which cylinder?

To sleeve your existing block or go with a new one you are going to pay for machine work. Are you sure there is nothing else wrong with this block?

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

Last edited by Steve69SS396; Mar 22nd, 10 at 02:31 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

The real issue is if you salvage the engine you'll need a car to put it into. Looked at like that, it'll cost you $25K plus to resleeve that block.

Seriously, I'd pass and (if you really need another engine) look for a post-89(?) block set up for hydraulic rollers from the factory. There's got to be a lot of cheap SBC stuff available as the LSx's take over the hot rod scene.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Thanks guys. I didn't need a motor, was just asked if I wanted it and said yes. No other plans for it than to sell it and make a few bucks. Was surprised to find it had never been started, then kinda disappointed that water got in. I've decided just to sell it as is. If the buyer feels comfortable about honing it and running it then fine. It's priced really just for what I think a freshly ground crank, resized stock rods and new cast pistons might bring. (not much!)

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Good move!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Nothing wrong with sleeving,
"it'll cost you $25K plus to resleeve" someone is milking the prices..sounds more like a price a machine shop would give because they dont want the job with out admitting they cant do it.

how deep are the rust marks and where in the bore are they
If used for a cruiser slight imperfections will be ok if lower in the bores.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I had a similar decision to make on my 454. The block was .060 and I was going to bore it to .100 but had one cylinder that was too thin and needed a sleeve. I chose not to do it as I didn’t want to sink $$$ (new rotating assembly, etc) into a re-sleeved block. Your case is a little different as your motor already has all the new goodies. I’ve talked to some engine builders and they will tell you that having a sleeve is not a big deal at all while others will tell you that a solid block is a must foundation for any build and sleeve is simply not in their formula.

If I was me, I would find me a new solid block, machine it and reuse all your new parts from the other one. BTW, those SBC/BBC make great wine/whiskey racks for any man cave…

Matt

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Sleeves are used in all high performance aluminum blocks, top fuel, etc. If it's done right you won't know the diference. That is the key. What is the cost to fix those cylinders vs. a new block and new machining. Has that block been rebuilt correctly. I'd have to take it apart and check everything anyway. Start with blue printing the parts, specifically cylinders first. It may need a block anyway.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Thanks again for all of the responses, guys!

I posted it on Craigslist, and within an hour of posting, IT'S GONE!! Maybe I didn't ask enough? I can't complain - a week ago I didn't even want a motor sitting around gathering dust. Now I have a few hundred $$$$ in my pocket for my troubles. I sold him the shortlock, heads, intake, and a chrome alternator. He also took away a T400 torque convertor I was going to set at the curb.

The ONLY reason I considered having the block sleeved was so I could put it back together and sell it as a complete engine. I called my local machine shop - $150 per sleeve. This guy can do with it as he pleases. (He said he has several 4 bolt 350 blocks and he'll just scrap this one)

I'm glad to have it gone!!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

That was easy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
The real issue is if you salvage the engine you'll need a car to put it into. Looked at like that, it'll cost you $25K plus to resleeve that block.

Seriously, I'd pass and (if you really need another engine) look for a post-89(?) block set up for hydraulic rollers from the factory. There's got to be a lot of cheap SBC stuff available as the LSx's take over the hot rod scene.
Mike - I was hoping that after you tire of your LS motor you'd buy it!!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Mike - I was hoping that after you tire of your LS motor you'd buy it!!
LOL, for the first time in about five years, I'm down to one motor per car/project. It's a nice feeling. My goal is to be able to give up the storage locker in another year or two. Then the sales volume will really pick up.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode