Starter issue? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tony

Starter issue?

My '68 starts fine and the starter turns the engine over plenty fast. If I turn the engine off and it is still hot, it restarts fine too. If it has a minimum of a half hour to cool down it starts fine. But if I shut it down, and try to restart it at the 15 or 20 minute mark it won't start. It doesn't turn over. The starter doesn't even click. The voltage gauge drops down like it is using a bunch of juice trying to budge the starter. Sit around and let it cool and it starts fine again.

What really gets me is that if I jump it during that cool down period it starts fine. Why would that extra bit of juice make a difference if it is the starter that is the problem?
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Starter issue?

is your baterry good
starter drawing to much?
does the car have headers?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 09:36 AM
Tech Team
Mark

heat soak. try a heat shield and or a new quality high temp solenoid using the short return spring. That should make a big difference.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 10:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Our Camaros were famous for that. When the solenoid gets hot it takes a lot more amperage for it to work. Stellar made some good suggestions. I ended up adding a remote solenoid to send full battery power to the starter solenoid. You can do a search here for the diagram of how to do it.

68 convertible
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

If it is starter heat soak then the best way to eliminate the issue is to add a Ford Solenoid somewhere on the fenderwell away from the engine heat. Cost about 20.00 and problem goes away for good! I speak from experience on this one,

Mike

See Link
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The issue starts (if it is not the solenoid clapped aout) with dry joints in the starter armiture. usually caused by hi intial advances.
Also because most rebuilt starters the armitures have not been pre tested on a growller because growllers have been considered obsolete testing equipment fot many yrs now

When cold the dry joints are tight, NPS
as the starter warms up they expand.
A starter with a good armiture will never be effected with heat from headers etc
A heat sheld is no more than a patch fix for a dud armiture.

And how do i know about this?
Because I had the issue over 25 yrs ago....and everything tested right but we knew it was the starter.
So we warmed up the armiture and used an ohm meter to check windings...sure enough a couple dry joints showed up....as also did so on the growller which also warms the armiture.
We even set up thr hoist, tools and guys at the ready when I pulled in, started dead....the starter was dropped and near dismantled before I climbed out of the car and down to the floor, the armiture was only warm to the hand.

So I go a USA rebuilt unit, did the same thing, replaced that and same thing...
We check each of the armitures all had dry joints
So we rebuilt my orginal starter re did all the joints....it has run fine for near on 200.000 miles.

Think it thru
There is a air gap between stater and engine...and iy happens when the car has been moving...more air flow ..then there is the internal gap between the case and armiture...thats one hell of a lot of 'insulation'....

If the soleniod, it is usually the copper disc has worn..one can simply turn it around and good to go again...If been turned before replace the disc.

It is not an issue with GM starters or camaros
it is an issue with intial advance being set way above FACTORY specs.
It is an issue with poor slap happy re manufacturers.

This has also cropped up within the hot rod club even on buckets.
Everytime been sorted by rebuilding and testing starters ourselves and NOT using American rebuilt units.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode