Tips for a better tune... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Tips for a better tune...

After reading the thread about crankcase pressure I started think about a better tune on my ZZ383.

Totally stock ZZ383 long block with the exception of 1.6 rockers
Holley 4150 650cfm vac. secondary carb
Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap vortec manifold

With current tune I have 17 very steady inches of vac. @ 900 rpm idle
carb has stock 6.5 power valve and I'm using the "736" pcv valve. I have the cowl hood air cleaner with the hose going to the rear of the right side valve cover. the PCV valve is in the front of the left valve cover over the baffle with the hose going around to the right side of the carb to the base plate on the carb (Full manifold vac.)

jets are 68 pri. with a 31 squiter.

timing is 31 total all in by 3200 rpm

Do you think I would benefit by changing the power valve and PCV valve to something different?

The motor runs well all year round with the choke disabled. But is lazy some times just off idle. It does run better with more initail advance but that really kills the mileage on the highway.

Any other suggestions?

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Tips for a better tune...

Quote:
With current tune I have 17 very steady inches of vac. @ 900 rpm idle
Forget that...thats just how it sounds and idles...change that around to do what you want it to...

It is what happens when under load and at cruise doing 140 mph across the Nulabour.
ONLY CHANGE 1 THING AT A TIME
1st get the timing in the ball park put a couple springs in so the advance comes off around the 1100/1200 mark
What is the intail without and with VA connected?
Quote:
timing is 31 total all in by 3200 rpm
if you have a nice stable idle now, dont mess with the intial BUT u do need more total cent advance (no VA connected) in the ball park of 36 degs @ around 3200.
Hopefully you can increase the range of the cent and not just have to rely on upping the intial.

And a VA that works around the 12 to 17"
And with 6 to 10 degs in it.

If you just want to have a quick play....
VA disconected Take the rpms up till the cent is all the way in (3200) the set the timing to 36 deg...re connect the VA and take it for a blat.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Fred - what kind of dist do you have? Do you even have vac advance? The General recommends 32 degrees total with those heads, although I'm not sure a degree or two more would hurt.

My motor is very similar to yours, a bit more cam, and a bit less idle vac. I run mine @ 17 initial. Mechanical adds 15, all in @ 3,000. Vac advance adds 10 degrees fully deployed @ 10 inches of vac. Seems to run well.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I'm using the MSD 8360. It has a vac, advance but it is not adjustable. You can play with the mech. adv. quite a bit with springs and bushings. I had the motor setup with 36 total advance with the initial right @ 15 deg. On a 40 mile cruise I burned 8 gallons of gas. I backed off the initial to 12 degrees and almost doubled my mileage on the next trip. I'm just wondering. Since I have such high vac @ idle if a change to the power valve or PCV valve would be beneficial. When I backed off on the initial timing I lost some throttle response just off idle that I would like to get back.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
On a 40 mile cruise I burned 8 gallons of gas. I backed off the initial to 12 degrees and almost doubled my mileage on the next trip
That signifies the engine is running rich...leaner mixtures require more advance...hence a VA.

Quote:
Since I have such high vac @ idle if a change to the power valve or PCV valve would be beneficial
17" is not considered high for a stock to slightly mild cam and itial advance over 10 degs.

Quote:
When I backed off on the initial timing I lost some throttle response just off idle that I would like to get back.
That will come back with lighter springs

I would be looking at 66 jets.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode