1967 L78 alternator set up/ please help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
richard

Question 1967 L78 alternator set up/ please help

can anyone help please/i have just put the engine in the car/ i am now assembling the alternator which is a 1970 model /lower and upper GM brackets are in place/ the upper bracket is to high to meet the alternator bolt hole/ it is also 3/4 of an inch away from the alternator if the bolt could meet. i have the 67 winters intake and am sure the alternator brackets are correct/was there a special l78 alternator ? or maybe something else is misplaced, I have strugged to find a decent correct 67 l78 picture of an engine for reference which shows an alternator set up.

Last edited by richards 67; Mar 23rd, 10 at 03:55 AM. Reason: checking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
red

Re: 1967 l78 alternator set up/ please help

There was noughing special about the alternator. Just bigger pulley. Lower bracket should be bolted to the front of the head and 1 on side of head above exhaust bolts. Kind of like a corner bracket. Top bolts to the water pump bolt and the other to the intake boss. All on the driver side. Alternator adjustment then bolts in slot on right side of upper bracket, towards rear of car. Looking at it from fender.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
richard

Question Re: 1967 l78 alternator set up/ please help

rechecked /everything is i place/ i have done a lot of cars/ i just dont get it

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 01:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Did you put the spacer in the bottom mount of the altenator behind the altenator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
red

Richard are you doing the 67 style or the 69 style setup? Will try to post pics tomarrow and setup link.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
richard

sir /no i did not put a spacer in the bottom mount/ would you know the size/ i did not realize there is a spacer between the alternator and mount.. I purchased this 67 l78 in peices and boxes that had been stored for 20 years/there were quite a few parts taken over this period of time/ so for the past 2 years i have purchased hopefully the correct parts.it has been a jigsaw puzzle as in the boxes were also 68/69/70 parts also.i am at the end of the restoration now,so i am tripping up on one or two items.i have the original build sheet and protecto plate/ so i feel it s been worthwhile. thanks Richard
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
richard

i am doing the 67 setup but with a 70 alternator/ as i have struggled to find 67 l78 alternator/ the car was in many boxes which sat for 20 years/unfortunatley the alternator was taken. thanks Richard
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
richard

much appreciated Charlie.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 01:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I don't have a measurement for the spacer. Do you have the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual)? I have the '68 version. But if you look in the UPC L35 section, you will find a page about how the alternator (generator) is mounted. I never had the spacer, either. But I'm swapping out chrome mounts for "correct" repro brackets. The kit came w/ the hardware. Here is the hardware that came w/ it:

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ct_Code=BZ-117

I can dig through my parts box (haven't pulled my engine, yet) and measure it if you want...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
richard

thanks for your help/ i have located a spacer/i will fit tomorrow and see if it makes a difference/i cannot see how it can though/ many thanks again.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

This picture is from a 1967 L78...here's the feature on it: http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...0/fpart/1/vc/1 I can email the owner and ask him to post a picture of that are close up if you'd like. Let me know

Bruce

Donate Life, Become an Organ and/or a tissue donor
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
richard

Re: 1967 L78 alternator set up/ please help

well guys/ i have found the problem/ i have put 67 corvette bigblock lower alternator bracket on/oops i did not realize they were different from camaro. many thanks to all that have posted ther veiws. Long live TEAM CAMARO. cheers Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode