1967 Camaro 327 rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Will

1967 Camaro 327 rebuild

Just received a 1967 camaro w a 327 from my dad.... car has been sitting for about 15 years (not driven at all) basically looking for direction on what i should do first... engine isnt locked up everything is still intact i just dont want to do anything that would cause damage to an otherwise stock numbers matching car. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: 1967 Camaro 327 rebuild

welcome to TC wish I had your dad!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

fire it up!

Of course somebody will flame me if I leave it at that, so take the proper precautions- check the oil, fresh gas, fresh battery, fire extinguisher standing by, maybe preoil it first, pull the valvecovers see what's in there, check the coolant, then fire it up!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Will

i have really been dieing to get it running but scared to do damage so i began with basic wiring issues and removing parts not necessary to run... ac compressor, pwr steering and bypassing the heater core. With the valve covers off what am i looking to accomplish??? im new to engine repair but do have a pretty good background in electronics and a far background in general engine stuff, but is the point to pre-oil the valves and springs?? sorry for the dumb questions but i just want to be clear on my daily objectives
thanks Will
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Nothing wrong with starting a motor thats been sitting for some time.
Pull the exhaust manifolds off if they arent already, pull intake, check and clear debris.
If their is heavy debris, you may need to pull heads.
Pull oil pan off, clean out.
Prime oil system with an old hollowed out distributor minus the gear, replace all fluids, run clean gas from a can if the tank is gone.
Your going to probably want to at least replace the intake and pan gaskets since you will probably need to remove them.

The valve springs are probably weak and if your looking for performance, you may want to at least do a top end re-build.
Do some diagnostic tests later on to see if the motor needs rebuilding.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenscartunes2 View Post
i have really been dieing to get it running but scared to do damage so i began with basic wiring issues and removing parts not necessary to run... ac compressor, pwr steering and bypassing the heater core. With the valve covers off what am i looking to accomplish??? im new to engine repair but do have a pretty good background in electronics and a far background in general engine stuff, but is the point to pre-oil the valves and springs?? sorry for the dumb questions but i just want to be clear on my daily objectives
thanks Will
By pulling the valvecovers you will be able to see if there is any "gunk" clogging up the oil return holes in the heads for one thing. This is a general indication of the health of the engine. Yes you could splash a little oil on each rocker while you are in there. Spin it over with the covers off and observe movement on everything. Look for loose rockers, bent pushrods, it's probably fine if the car was in good condition when it last ran and stored in a dry place.

I agree with ACE's advice, but if you are not experienced in reassembly, it could cause more trouble and a big learning curve for yourself if you pull the disti and intake and make any mistakes on reassembly. Depends on your own level of experience.

Make sure nobody is living in the carburetor. If it has gas, air and spark, it will run. Then you could proceed to a compression test later on.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Will

replaced the fluids and fresh battery done but the engine seems to turn over very slow and then stops after about one turn>>> could that be starter motor weak???just purchased the battery today so voltage is fine. also found that both sides of the ignition coil read 12v?? the neg side of the coil which leads to the dist reads 12v is that the side used to pulse 12v to charge and discharge the coil?? i thought one side should be ground and the other 12v please correct if im wrong
thanks Will
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

It will turn over slower than normal if the car hasn't been ran even if the battery is new.
After the alternator charges the battery it will turn over much quicker.
Check the voltage of the battery, it will probably drain quickly if all your doing is turning over the motor, I know when you don't start them in a while the volts on the gauge will drop after a few revolutions. I think 11.8 volts is the bare minimum needed to start, I'd put the battery on a charger.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode