Stewart EMP 13113 alternator bracket mount wrong - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Stewart EMP 13113 alternator bracket mount wrong

I just got done bolting on my stewart water pump from Summit and the bolt hole for the upper alternator mounting bracket is so far back as compared to the original pump that my alternator bracket TRD9320 is behind the alternator instead of in front making it impossible to mount the alternator. I checked measurements compared to a couple of other pumps in my garage and this one is definitely wrong - it is a long pump but the hole is et back too close to the block to work at all. Sent a note to Summit to see what they can do, but unforunately the pump is painted and the box it came in is long gone. Anyone else have a similar problem with a Stewart pump? They said its the same body as origional when I emailed and asked them about it - just revised inside. I'm wondering if this is a fluke or if they are all like this? Frustated a little bit - I'm stuck now.... till I get a response from Summit I guess. Sent a note to Stewart about the problem too.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

Last edited by srode; Mar 23rd, 10 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Stewart EMP 13113 alternator bracket mount wrong

You may have that same problem with a different pump. It may work just fine for a guy down the street. You may be able to fix your problem with a simple spacer. Here is a pic of my Long pump set up that I needed to add a spacer.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 09:24 PM
Linnie

Re: Stewart EMP 13113 alternator bracket mount wrong

I recently purchased a new water pump for my 69 from NAPA. It came with the needed spacer which is about 5/8 of an inch wide. Not sure why they started doing this?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech

in 75 or 76- when they started painting the engines light blue instead of orange- Chevy changed the front accessory mounts to a more complicated and ugly setup, and the water pump had a couple of things changed to accommodate the changes. the alt bracket mount is farther back, and the PS mount is no longer drilled all the way thru and offset about 1/8" farther back. i think they also put the timing tab in the straight up position at this time so you had to risk falling into the spinning belts and fan blades just to set your timing. i think they also moved the oil dipstick to the other side of the engine for some reason, too.
all these changes are among the most pointless "refinements" they made to the small blocks over the years.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm going to look at the power steering mount as well now - it might be different.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 07:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I had problems with the alt upper bracket with the spacer but found it was an issue with the rear mounting point using an Airgap intake. I could have jerry rigged it but went to a nicer looking billet adjustable rod here. The lower mount bracket remained the same using a Stewart pump.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
I had problems with the alt upper bracket with the spacer but found it was an issue with the rear mounting point using an Airgap intake. I could have jerry rigged it but went to a nicer looking billet adjustable rod here. The lower mount bracket remained the same using a Stewart pump.
Yep, I am not using the stock upper bracket but I would have to use a spacer to get it to work with the location of the upper mounting hole and my chromed 2 point mount - how did you adjustable rod work out for you? Does it hold the alternator firmly in place without tilting at the top?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Well Summit said they would exchange or refund if I wanted and I called Stewart talked to Mark in Production. He wasn't aware of a problem with earlier models but did some investigating and is going to have a spacer made and ship it to me wanted to know how large outside diameter I needed too. No cost to me, great service! Wanted to know if I needed a longer bolt to but told him I would find one here so not to worry. I let him know that I thought it would be a problem with any GMs prior to Mid 70's using the long pump if they had the same casting to start with. They're going to look into it and I'm guessing may add a spacer with this pump in the future. Very happy camper now, gotta love a company that takes the time to make things right these days!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Yep, I am not using the stock upper bracket but I would have to use a spacer to get it to work with the location of the upper mounting hole and my chromed 2 point mount - how did you adjustable rod work out for you? Does it hold the alternator firmly in place without tilting at the top?
Yes, the adjustable (Billet Industries) works well, came with a 1" tube spacer to get a straignt shot to their top alt extension from the water pump. Little long arm that connects to alt and adjuster. Act like a leverage device. It holds the alt well, takes very little effort to snug up belt into pulley. Running the 3" factory deep pulley. Drives off crank and water pump. The ps and Vintage AC dual belts run straight off crank.

Here is a couple shot if it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	14997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4066.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	14998  

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Stewart shipped my spacers (they made 2) overnight to me - put one on and it works out perfectly. Nice polished aluminum pieces - very impressed! Gotta love that kind of customer service from a company now days.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

That's good to hear ! I always thought Stewart was a Top-notch company with a great product !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode