Loose spark plugs? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

Loose spark plugs?

Hello I recently had to install new spark plugs in my 1969 Camaro so I went the E3 route. All was good for a few days until one actually blew out of the block. There was no thread damage fortunately and come to find out a few others were loose. My question is how much do you tighten your spark plugs? I had heard several times to make them hand tight and then another half rotation which I did. Should I reinstall them and go 3/4 turn or what would you suggest? I have good torque wrench and could use that on the ones the headers are not blocking access to. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

Re: Loose spark plugs?

Opps I forgot to mention my engine is a 350 and actually a '71 engine if that matters at all
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 02:44 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Take one out and look at your head, see if it has a tapered seat or needs a gasket (flat seat).

Maybe after install you could go for a short ride to warm up the motor then re-tighten ?

Never had this issue so I'm guessing

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 04:03 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

This happened to my friends Camaro with aluminum heads. I think the problem was due to him not installing the washers that came with them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, '71 and older need plugs with the washer; head will have a flat seat.
Usually, after hand tight, compress the washer, maybe two flats of the hex.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

That sounds like it must be the problem. This has been way more confusing than it should be for me. This car is new to me, and really the first car I have done a lot of work on. The plugs I took out of it were the application, I believe they were Pontiac when I looked it up. Anyways each spark plug had two washers on them, I thought these were indexing to make the wrong plugs fit. The new E3's I just bought did not include washers, can i use the ones that were on there or is that a part I can get somewhere like napa? Thanks again for your help!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 06:54 PM
Bill

Eric,
A 71 350 should use a taper seat plug, no washers. I dont have a clue what an "e-3" is, but why would you use anything but a good old reliable AC Delco spark plug like the one that came in the car ??? Probably a R43TS

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantis View Post
......each spark plug had two washers on them, I thought these were indexing to make the wrong plugs fit. The new E3's I just bought did not include washers, !
Indexing washers are used to properly orient the spark plug's electrode in the combustion chamber which creates more efficient combustion of the A/F mixture. They were not designed to make wrong/improper spark plug applications fit correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Eric,
I dont have a clue what an "e-3" is.....
An E3 is the new "Diamond Fire" triple electrode spark plug.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

Thank you for both of your responses, I am glad to find out that I dont need washers for the spark plugs, I think I think I will try to re-tighten using a torque wrench to get the exact amount. Sorry for referring to them as just E3, yes they are the triple electrode plugs. I didn't think that indexing the wrong spark plugs was good, or for that matter a smart idea.... especially being how cheap they are. I just thought that's what the last owner had done. I have found some pretty strange things going on with my car so it didn't surprise me terribly. You guys have helped a lot, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode