Real Rochester Q-jet or a Summit version? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Real Rochester Q-jet or a Summit version?

OK...I do have another question regarding the carb...sorry for all the questions.
What do you guys recommend...getting a real manufactured q-jet, or getting a summit rebuilt one like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-210210/?rtype=1

Are the summit ones real rebuilt rochester q-jets, or just their rendition of one? Will the above one work with an automatic? I need a 7028212 DH rochester q-jet model due to having a powerglide.
Can the summit ones be tuned as well as the original q-jet's?
Thanks for ALL the help! I do appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Real rochester q-jet or a summit version?

It's a real Q Jet, regardless of who rebuilt it, so tuning and parts will be the same.

I don't know of any QJ's that were manual tranny specific, but I'm sure there could be one. Anyway it will work with a powerglide, T350 or T400 with little to no mods, and a 700r4 w/ an inexpensive bracket update. Yes, it will work with an automatic.

Where are you at in Milwaukee, as a qjet fan myself I may be able to help you
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you're set on a Quadrajet, National Carburetor sells them for about $100 less than Summit and has a lifetime warranty. You can give them a call to see what they say about your specific application. My dad's '85 F150 uses a funky electronic feedback carb and they did a good job with the one I bought for him.
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd4213

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 05:22 AM
Guess

Re: Real rochester Q-jet or a Summit version?

Hey Steiner.... any idea about turn-around time for that place?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Hey Steiner.... any idea about turn-around time for that place?
On rebuilds? No idea. I know when dad's came in it was missing something that needed to be done for a sensor. They immediately sent him a UPS pick up, did the work, and had it back to him the same week.

Here's their rebuild site:
http://www.antiquecarburetors.com/

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Mar 26th, 10 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 09:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity View Post
OK...I do have another question regarding the carb...sorry for all the questions.
What do you guys recommend...getting a real manufactured q-jet, or getting a summit rebuilt one like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-210210/?rtype=1

Are the summit ones real rebuilt rochester q-jets, or just their rendition of one? Will the above one work with an automatic? I need a 7028212 DH rochester q-jet model due to having a powerglide.
Can the summit ones be tuned as well as the original q-jet's?
Thanks for ALL the help! I do appreciate it.
Be advised, the replacement carbs that summit (or anybody) sells these days are later model carbs than would have been on you car originally. That means they will have electric chokes and are somewhat more "adjustable" with the adjustable part throttle screw that originals don't have.

But later model carbs came from cars that used throttle cables instead of hard linkage. You will have to mod the Qjet to accept your linkage and your kickdown linkage for the powerglide. It's all doable but good to know this in advance.
This is what I had to do when I got a replacement QJet from JET.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezined View Post
It's a real Q Jet, regardless of who rebuilt it, so tuning and parts will be the same.

I don't know of any QJ's that were manual tranny specific, but I'm sure there could be one. Anyway it will work with a powerglide, T350 or T400 with little to no mods, and a 700r4 w/ an inexpensive bracket update. Yes, it will work with an automatic.

Where are you at in Milwaukee, as a qjet fan myself I may be able to help you
Thanks a lot for the help! I am west of Milwaukee about 15 minutes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Be advised, the replacement carbs that summit (or anybody) sells these days are later model carbs than would have been on you car originally. That means they will have electric chokes and are somewhat more "adjustable" with the adjustable part throttle screw that originals don't have.

But later model carbs came from cars that used throttle cables instead of hard linkage. You will have to mod the Qjet to accept your linkage and your kickdown linkage for the powerglide. It's all doable but good to know this in advance.
This is what I had to do when I got a replacement QJet from JET.
OK...thanks for the tip...So this Summit version would work just fine with a choke kit for my edelbrock preformer RPM?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
OK...thanks for the tip...So this Summit version would work just fine with a choke kit for my edelbrock preformer RPM?
It will have it's own choke coil. You just run a switched 12V line to it from the fuse box. Doesn't matter what intake as long as it's a spreadbore like the QJet.

-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
It will have it's own choke coil. You just run a switched 12V line to it from the fuse box. Doesn't matter what intake as long as it's a spreadbore like the QJet.
So it will no longer be a divorced choke, I am modifying it to an electric?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
So it will no longer be a divorced choke, I am modifying it to an electric?
NO, having just looked at the picture of the carb you linked,
it specifies "divorced choke" so that is what it would be and you wouldn't have to modify anything.

Sorry I didn't look at the specific link before. If your Eddy intake has a place to mount the divorced choke coil, you'll be all set.

-
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
NO, having just looked at the picture of the carb you linked,
it specifies "divorced choke" so that is what it would be and you wouldn't have to modify anything.

Sorry I didn't look at the specific link before. If your Eddy intake has a place to mount the divorced choke coil, you'll be all set.
OK...thats what I thought, and yes, the Edelbrock intake does have a spot for the choke coil. They actually have a choke kit for the specific performer RPM that I'm looking at...I just wanted to make sure i had the right set-up!
Thanks a lot for all the help!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Real rochester Q-jet or a Summit version?

There actually is a difference in Manual vs. Auto Q-Jets
Not only do the Auto carb.s have a different throttle hook-up bracket with provision for the kick-down linkage, their internal jetting, calibration Rods and Secondary Valve parts and settings are slightly differrent.

It's not a big deal to make one or the other work on any set-up, just may have to add a kick-down linkage stud or readjust the jetting/rods or air-valve while tuning for your needs.

Also, if you're looking for a unit that you can bolt-on and it will work right out of the box - contact Sean Murphy
At - http://www.smicarburetor.com/
He does excellent work and I've never had problem one with one of his carbs!

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode