New engine build, what heads???? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation New engine build, what heads????

Ok so i rebuilt my 350 i had, it has stock crank and rods, .040 over pistons, high pressure and volume oil pumps, lunati voodoo cam with 0.525 int./0.546 exh. lift,pro comp roller rockers, edelbrock victor jr intake, and edelbrock 750cfm carb.

Now my question is what do you guys think are the best for the money iron or aluminum heads?? For $1400 or less, i want to run a 150 shot of nitrous next year, so something that can handle that down the road. let me know what you guys think i should do, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: New engine build, what heads????

AFR's are about the best you can buy. I'm not sure if $1400 is enough. They are about $1500.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFR-1040/

RHS Pro Action heads also flow great and are a little less money.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12044-01/

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Mar 29th, 10 at 09:02 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: New engine build, what heads????

AFR, BRODIX, GM Fastburn, CANFIELD are all great, I would avoid dart, they are expenive, and from what I've seen first hand, they do not perform.

I'd lose the edelbrock carb quick, especially if your wanting a performance build, which this seems to be.

What size stud do the rockers require, 3/8's or the larger ones? Many good aftermarket heads accept the larger ones, and I've snapped 3/8's studs with as little as .490" lift.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Do a search on those Harbor Freight rockers. Many have broken, some even taking out complete engines. Harland Sharp is the best budget roller rocker made.

Brodix IK heads should work well and fit your budget.

Ditto on ace's Edeljoke carb comment, they're not a performance piece.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

http://www.profilerperformance.com/sbc-heads-176.html

I just an bought a set of these last Monday for 998 + frt. American made and Darrin Morgan designed . I don't have them yet. Don't order them off the net, as the part#'s are fubard and you'd get 2.08's which is NOT what you want for a 4" engine.

But 2.08's is only 30 bux more

The springs are 115# seat and 335# at .650. I may have to swap springs depending on the cam I use which is undecided yet. It will be awhile before I know how these heads perform.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

ok now for future refference do i want 64cc combustion chamber or 70cc for the nitrous in the future
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I APOLOGIZE FOR LARGE CAPS IM NOT YELLING, THE KEYBOARD ON THIS COMPUTER IS BROKE.

HEADS AND COMPRESSION DONT REALLY MATTER UNTIL YOU WANNA fine tune AND RACE AT THE TRACK. tHE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKING ON YOUR ENGINE IS THE PISTONS-PREDETENATION AND BURN A HOLE AND HAVE TO REBUILD ENGINE OR CRACK THE RODS OR CRANK AND THUS HAVE TO REBUILD ENGINE ANY WAY.

SO, ARE YOUR PISTONS AND BOTTOM END CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE NX YOU PLAN TO USE? STOCK PISTONS AND MOST BOTTOM ENDS ARE GOOD TO 100-125HP SHOT OF NX. NX=NITROUS

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Juice is off most of the time but you always have to live with how the engine behaves the rest of the time. Most don't alter cr around juice use, that's done for blowers/turbos. For nitrous you build the bottom to handle the level you choose. Stuff like pistons/rods/cranks/ring gap gets more critical as the shot gets larger. And heavy hitters will use nitrous cams(think over 300 hp hit here).

Tell us your cam specs and more about your pistons so we can make a SWAG for ya on the head cc because all you said was .040 over and we kinda need to know if they are flat or dished or dome because that can make a significant difference in your cr.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I'm very happy with what the AFR's did on the dyno with my setup. You would need to calculate your static and dynamic compression ratios with the different head cc's to find what will be best for you. KB Silvolite has a good calculator on their site. With as much cam as you're running, the 64cc would probably be OK with flat tops or domes of the right size.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 5th, 10 at 11:38 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I wouldn't go under 10.5:1, especially with as big as I would expect the duration to be on that cam, bet it would love 11:1.
Agreed about not dropping cr for nitrous, just watch the timing.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode