Car is smoking from tail pipe - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Car is smoking from tail pipe

67 with 383 is smoking from both back tail pipes, the car does have a "transmission leak" as there is a puddle in the garage, its hard for me to distinguish the color of the smaoke its like white clear smoke versus blue or black, the car isnt running sluggish and it isnt over heating or anything, the smell doesnt smell like gas either the smolking just strated this weekend could the fuel i have gotten simply have been bad or had condensation in it or something?

To rule out head gasket, i removed the radiator cap no bubbles and the car radiator is full to the top even after driving it for a good 1hr straight and the over flow tank still has fluid in it im not sure why its smoking outthe back tail pipes? With the transmission leak could there be a way its buring it off? . Doesnt really have that sweet anti freeze smell or water smell ? Although its kind of white the smoke is clear as well and its smoking equally from both dual back tail pipes?.

If not a blown head gasket maybe an intake manifold gasket i just dont know, what tests would you do to strat rulling out possible things?

it about helping others

Last edited by knightmoose; Mar 29th, 10 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

Re: car is smoking from tail pipe

If it is an automatic transmission it could be a bad modulator.The vaccum from the engine can draw oil from the transmission into the intake if the modulator is bad. Pull the vaccum line off and see if there's oil in it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hmm i started agin after it has been sitting now there is less smoke and when it hits the ground the ground is wet as though there is condensation in the tail pipes? hmm what ever the problem is it is not NORMAL i will hold blue print engines to their warranty and find out what it is, the engine has aluminum heads what i see is more like a mist is the best way to describe it, that could mean cracked head or something.

if so it has to be at the very very infancy stage of it as im not losing any water anywhere the car isnt over heating in fact it takes time just to getthe engine hot, right now the mist is very small coming from the tail piep its hitting the ground wet and leaving wet spots on both sides of the dual exhaust i think id have to get her really running again before seeingthe mist cloud i saw earlier today as now she has been sitting for 3 hrs and isnt doing it like she was before

it about helping others

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

It's very unlikely you have TWO cracked heads leaking water into the cylinders, if you did and the leak was some what bad, you would know instantly, the motor would hydro lock every few starts, and water would be blown out of the spark plug holes when removed.

I know even in mild weather I get condensation out the pipes (mid 70*) especially if the car is cold condensation will happen from the heat going into the cool pipes.
Water/coolant can't just run out the pipes and hit the ground.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Hot exhaust and cool dry air causes condensation, this is normal, relax, there is nothing wrong. Go drive it and enjoy.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Car is smoking from tail pipe

can a vacumn line connected to the wrong inlet port on the front of the carb cause the problem? i moved 1 hose to a non suction port and the smoking is way subsided

it about helping others
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

What vacuum line?
From the distributor to the carb?
And no, it's not likely a vacuum issue is causing this...

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes the line that goes to the vacumn advance i moved it over and the smoke has subsided smokes a little or when you rev the engine hard, that port has been plugged since the engine was installed and i remembered i unplugged it and plugged the line to it over the weekend because it did raise the idle some than i moved it back thinking like you said what difrence would it make maybe it makes the car run lean or rich or something?

"I pulled some plugs and they are black dry powder sooty apperance, dry black powder .."

it about helping others

Last edited by knightmoose; Mar 30th, 10 at 09:07 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 12:32 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

One is a ported vacuum source which has no vacuum at idle, and the other is full manifold which has suction at idle.
You should use the full manifold vacuum.
By moving the line over you changed your timing and changed the idle since the timing was reduced or brought back up depending on which port you moved it to.

Pull both lines, raise rpm's back up to idle, put a timing light on the motor and see what it is doing, then plug the line into the full manifold port and adjust total timing accordingly.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode